In principle, COST reimburses the travel and living expenses of participants in COST actions in the following cases:
- participation of (maximum two) representatives in meetings of the management committee;
- participants in meetings of working groups of an action.
In addition, certain preparatory activities of new COST actions, publications, organisation of workshops or conferences, short stays with a foreign research partner within COST activities, etc. can be funded by COST.
COST provides an average of 130,000 euro per year for networking, depending on the available budget and the number of participating countries.
- allowance for participation in a meeting: €800 per participant
- number of Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) per year per COST action: 5 to 10
- allowance for 1 STSM: up to €2,500
- support for organiser: €20 per participant per meeting
- support for website: up to €9,000
More information about the costs that are eligible and the conditions for reimbursement can be found on the COST website and in the COST Vademecum.
In exceptional cases, financing can also be provided by the Department of Economy, Science and Innovation (EWI) of the Flemish government:
If, as a participant in a COST action, you cannot benefit from reimbursement by COST, the Flemish Community can finance the travel and living expenses in the above-described cases. However, this support is limited to researchers of universities and science and research institutes of the Flemish Community.
Within certain COST actions, it is customary to organise scientific meetings and workshops at which the results of the action are presented. In exceptional cases, you can apply for financial support for this purpose.
Please note: any form of financial support is always dependent on the available budget.
For more information we advise you to contact the EWI department.