Bilateral research cooperation Ecuador
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs bilateral agreements with a number of countries for the funding of joint research projects. These projects go further than the traditional exchange projects, because personnel can also be financed.
One of the selected countries is Ecuador. The FWO has reached an agreement with research fund SENESCyT (Secretaría Nacional de Educación Superior, Ciencia, Tecnología e Innovación) on the funding of new research projects in the following areas:
- Natural sciences, earth sciences, agriculture, biology, chemistry, physics
- Climate change adaptation
- Engineering, material sciences and agricultural engineering
- Interdisciplinary studies, environmental sciences, biodiversity, sustainability
- Mathematics, computer sciences and informatics
- Health and nutritional sciences
- Social sciences
For the time being, the launch of new calls for bilateral research cooperations with Ecuador (FWO-SENESCyT) is not possible.
- Joint research project with Ecuadorian partner
- Period: 2 years
- Maximum budget: € 70.000 per year, or € 140.000 for the whole project (personnel, consumables, equipment)
- Submission deadline: call closed
- Announcement of results: December 2014
- Start of project: 1 January 2015
- Succes rate 2010: 23 %
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need bench fees, equipment and personnel grants, as well as international cooperation to reach your goals.
- Your research will be carried out at universities in the Flemish Community or at officially registered higher education institutions that can award a PhD degree.
- Your research project will be carried out under the direction of a supervisor, possibly in collaboration with one or more co-supervisors, and in close cooperation with an Ecuadorian research team
- All material acquired under a bench fee or equipment grant of the FWO shall become the property of the university.
- The host institution is the employer of staff remunerated under research projects.
- Supervisors and co-supervisors are not allowed any remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration under a research project.
- Your joint proposal is submitted simultaneously to FWO and SENESCyT, according to their respective modalities.
- You propose a list of 10 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible)
- Your application is submitted to a number of these referees for evaluation.
- A joint expert panel consisting of Femish and Ecuadorian experts evaluates your application
- The expert panel report to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees decides on your grant.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project