New in 2017: Cooperation with Switzerland
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries. To allow joint research projects to be set up between Flanders and Switzerland, the FWO has signed a Lead Agency Procedure (LAP) agreement with the Swiss SNSF (Swiss National Science Foundation). The Lead Agency is responsible for the coordination and implementation of the assessment procedure and for the funding decision.
In the framework of this Lead Agency Procedure agreement FWO will be the Lead Agency for this application round with deadline in 2017. This means that FWO will implement the entire evaluation and selection procedure in 2017. SNSF will be the Lead Agency in 2018.
- The cooperation with SNSF is based on a Lead Agency Procedure in which FWO is the Lead Agency for this application round (2017). Applications must be submitted at FWO through E-loket by the Flemish partner and the necessary documents need to be submitted at SNSF through mySNF by the Swiss partner.
- It must be an integrated research proposal with one central problem, methodology and elaboration.
- Period: 4 years
- FWO staff and consumables: € 45,000 to € 130,000 (The average project size should be around € 70,000 annually).
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: December 2017.
- Start of project: 1 January 2018.
Success rate 2016: 16,53%
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants to conduct a joint research project combining complementary expertise and relevant scientific input from both sides.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of an eligible Flemish host institution (Article 3).
- The supervisor who also acts as the responsible spokesperson vis-à-vis the FWO, must comply with Article 9 of the regulations for research projects, or has to hold an equal position at one of the institutes mentioned above.
- Within this application round (2017) FWO-SNSF applications are considered as regular FWO research projects. This means that:
- Applications in the framework of this LAP procedure with Switzerland are taken into account when calculating the maximum number of projects per applications round for which you can act as a (co-)promotor.
- Supervisor-spokespersons that were awarded a regular FWO research project (including the LAP projects with Slovenia, Luxembourg, and Austria) in the 2016 application round, are not eligible to submit an FWO-SNSF project this application round (2017).
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- Take a look at the different research projects you can apply for in 2017.
- The partners follow the assessment procedure of the organization acting as Lead Agency. For this call (2017) FWO is the Lead Agency. In 2018, SNSF is the Lead Agency.
- The application procedure for the FWO as Lead Agency, can be summarized as follows:
- The Flemish partner submits the application in English via the FWO E-loket taking into account the abovementioned deadline.
- In addition, the Swiss partner needs to submit the required forms directly and on time to SNSF through mySNF.
- Each supervisor and co-supervisor of both the Flemish and Swiss research team must have online profile including an updated list of publications on the FWO E-portal.
- The applications are assessed for eligibility; the FWO and SNSF check whether the application meets the formal requirements.
- You propose a list of 10 external referees (eligibility criteria). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Switzerland. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) between the proposed international referees and the Swiss partner(s).
- Your application is presented to a number of these referees for evaluation.
- The FWO expert panels evaluate your application.
- Final decision taken by the board of trustees of FWO and the SNSF Board.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for an FWO Research Project.