Cooperation with China
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential joint collaboration projects.
On the 30th of June, 2015 the official signing of the new cooperation agreement between the FWO and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) took place in Brussels. After a first successful call in 2016, a second call for collaborative projects is launched in order to further promote scientific cooperation between Flanders and China. For the 2017 call the cooperation is limited to all fields of natural sciences and medical sciences in the following themes:
- mathematical & physical sciences
- chemical sciences
- life sciences
- earth sciences
- engineering & material sciences
- information sciences
- management sciences
- health sciences
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- The funding covers travel and living expenses.
- FWO pays researcher(s) from China a daily living allowance of € 50 per day (or max. € 1300 per month) and reimburses in addition the accommodation costs. The international travel costs of the Flemish researcher(s) are also paid by FWO.
- NSFC provides per project a fixed total amount of 100,000 RMB for the total duration of two years. This funding should be used for the international travel costs of the Chinese researcher(s) and the accommodation and living expenses of the Flemish researcher(s).
- Only researchers from postdoctoral level onwards can travel from China to Flanders. In Flanders PhD students may be included in the project and travel from Flanders to China.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: October-November 2017
- Start of project: January 2018
Profile and conditions
- As the applicant, you hold a PhD.
- You hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Please note: All the members of the Chinese research team (including the Chinese PI) have to be already involved in an ongoing NSFC project and there should be an overlap of at least one year. In addition, all the members of the Chinese research team should be affiliated to the same university or institute.
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and NSFC.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in China. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Chinese partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The Panel of International Scientific Contacts (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with NSFC.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to every submission at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with China at FWO.
- Memorandum of Understanding NSFC-FWO
- Guidelines for applicants
This guide contains all requirements, procedures, etc. for the application of a project within the framework of the collaboration agreement with NSFC.
- Webpage NSFC concerning the cooperation agreement with FWO