Cooperation with South Korea
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of scientific cooperation projects.
To strengthen scientific collaboration between South Korea and Flanders, the FWO has signed an agreement with the National Research Foundation (NRF). This agreement aims to stimulate collaboration between South Korea and Flanders in the area of research and development in all scientific domains by conducting joint cooperation projects. The programme focuses mainly on the exchange of young researchers.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Joint scientific cooperation projects with special attention to young researchers: in each cooperation project at Flemish side at least one young scientist with no more than 6 years of postdoctoral experience should be engaged
- Funding: each party bears the full costs of its researchers (travel, accommodation and living expenses).
- FWO offers researchers from Flanders a daily living allowance of € 66 (or max. €1,650 per month) on top of the travel expenses towards/from South Korea, to be booked through Omnia Travel.
- NRF pays the researchers from South Korea a total amount of maximum 20,000,000 KRW (about € 15,000) per year to cover the travel expenses towards/from and the stay within Flanders.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: November-December 2017
- Start of project: 1 January 2018
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and NRF.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in South Korea. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the South Korean partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The International Collaboration Committee (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with the National Research Foundation (NRF).
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to every submission at FWO.