Cooperation with the Czech Republic
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential joint collaboration projects.
In the frame of the current agreement with the Czech Academy of Sciences (CAS), a first call for joint collaboration projects is launched in order to further promote scientific cooperation between Flanders and the Czech Republic in all research domains. Consequently, the continuous application process for exchanges is replaced by regular calls for submission of joint cooperation projects. The programme focuses mainly on the exchange of young researchers.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Joint scientific cooperation projects with special attention to young researchers, in each cooperation project:
- at Flemish side at least one young scientist, with no more than 6 years of postdoctoral experience, should perform an exchange towards the Czech Republic;
- out of the whole Czech team, at least 1/3 must be junior researchers or PhD students.
- The funding covers travel and living expenses.
- FWO pays researcher(s) from the Czech Republic a living allowance of EUR 66 per day (or max. EUR 1,650 per month) to cover accommodation, meals, domestic transport and incidental expenses. The international travel costs of the Flemish researcher(s) to and from the Czech Republic are also paid by FWO.
- CAS pays the international travel costs of the Czech researcher(s) to and from Belgium as well as the travel insurance. In addition, CAS pays the researcher(s) from Flanders a meal and accommodation allowance and domestic transport expenses (specific details: see Guide for Applicants).
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: December 2016
- Start of projects: January 2017
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Please note: All the members of the Czech research team (including the Czech PI) should be affiliated to a CAS institute.
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and CAS.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in the Czech Republic. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Czech partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The International collaboration committee (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with CAS.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to every submission at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with the Czech Republic at FWO.
- Guidelines for applicants
This guide contains all requirements, procedures, etc. for the application of a project within the framework of the collaboration agreement with CAS.