Regulations for Grant for organisation of a scientific conference in Belgium
The General Regulations apply. Detailed information, full regulations and forms are available online. Any additional information can be obtained from the secretariat of the Research Foundation - Flanders, Egmontstraat 5, 1000 BRUSSELS, tel. 02 512 91 10.
Art. 1. Type of funding
The Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO) provides funding for the organisation of scientific conferences in Belgium (*). The grant is seen as co-funding and the maximum allowance per conference is €5,000. Scientific conferences for which no registration fee is being charged to the participants, are not eligible. The size of the allowance is determined by the Panel for International Scientific Contacts (CIWC) of the FWO.
* Scientific conferences held in the buildings of the Academia Belgica in Rome, and organised by the Academia Belgica and/or the Belgian Historical Institute in Rome, as well as scientific conferences (co-)organised by researchers affiliated to a Flemish university, the Hogere Zeevaartschool, the Vlerick Management School, the Antwerp Management School and/or the Institute of Tropical Medicine, taking place in the context of the operation of the Belgian School at Athens (EBSA) or the Dutch-Flemish Institute in Cairo (NVIC) are also eligible in exceptional cases.
Art. 2. Purpose
Supporting the organisation of international scientific conferences is intended to encourage scientific debate in various disciplines, and thus contribute to scientific collaboration between Flemish research institutes. Conferences in the context of doctoral schools and expert meetings are not eligible. The conference for which a grant is being asked should have an open character and thus be accessible for everyone who wishes to participate.
Art. 3. Responsible spokesperson
The applicant must at least hold one of the following types of appointment (remunerated):
- an independent academic staff member of a Flemish university;
- an independent academic staff member of the Evangelical Protestant Faculty in Leuven if the research is related to religious studies or theology;
- an independent academic staff member of the Faculty for Protestant Theology in Brussels if the research is related to religious studies or theology;
- an (associated) professor or (full) professor with PhD, affiliated to the Hogere Zeevaartschool if the application is related to research in nautical sciences;
- an (associated) professor or (full) professor (or positions with equivalent English titles) with PhD, affiliated to the Vlerick Management School if the application is related to research in management sciences:
- an (associated) professor or (full) professor with PhD, affiliated to the Antwerp Management School if the application is related to research in management sciences
- an (associated) professor or (full) professor with PhD, affiliated to the Institute of Tropical Medicine if the application is related to research intropical medicine and veterinary medicine and in healthcare in developing countries.
Art. 4. Submission deadline
Applications must be submitted by the responsible spokesperson no later than six months prior to the opening of the relevant conference, using the appropriate online forms available via the website of the FWO. If the scientific programme remains to be defined in detail, the application must be accompanied at least by the outlines of the programme and the list of guest speakers.
Art. 5. Composition of the scientific committee and organising committee
The scientific committee and organising committee must consist of members of the Independent Academic Staff of at least two Belgian universities, at least one of which is located in the Flemish Community. The following are considered equivalent to a Flemish university: the Evangelical Protestant Faculty in Leuven and the Faculty for Protestant Theology in Brussels for research related to religious studies or theology, the Hogere Zeevaartschool for research related to nautical sciences, the Vlerick Management School and the Antwerp Management School for research related to management sciences, and the Institute of Tropical Medicine for research related to tropical medicine and veterinary medicine and to healthcare in developing countries; the staff categories of theseinstitutions as referred to in article 3 are considered equivalent to Independent Academic Staff members at universities. Participation by multiple Flemish universities in both committees is considered a plus.
Art. 6. Use
The allowance shall be used exclusively the following cost categories:
1. material organisation of the conference;
2. secretarial and translation costs;
3. printing of reports;
4. travel and accommodation costs of foreign speakers.
Art. 7. Justification and reporting
§1. When an allowance is allocated, the applicant can, upon written request, receive a down payment in the amount of half of the allocated sum.
§2. The balance is paid upon presentation of all supporting documents which must be forwarded at the end of the conference.
§3. In addition to the supporting documents, a detailed income and expenditure account must be submitted to the FWO. If the income exceeds the expenditure, the FWO reserves the right to withdraw a portion of the allocated allowance.
§4. The scientific report to be submitted shall take the form of a document of maximum 3 pages. Any proceedings or minutes of the conference need not be forwarded to the FWO.