Scientific Research Network (WOG)
Call closed in 2017.
This grant supports researchers with the coordination of scientific research networks (WOGs). These are international networks of researchers that encourage national and international cooperation at postdoctoral level.
These virtual research groups are set up through efficient coordination and intensive collaboration at (inter)national level. They prevent dual usage and provide researchers with more development opportunities. A scientific research network places the research of individual and complementary research departments in a wider framework.
- Duration of projects: 5 years, renewable.
- Annual bench fee: maximum 12.500 EUR.
- Unused funds will be returned to the FWO.
- The funding is to be used exclusively for:
- the organization guest lectures, symposia and scientific collaboration visits at postdoctoral level;
- travel and accommodation expenses of foreigners;
- fees for established researchers from outside the Flemish Community;
- travel and accommodation expenses of postdoctoral researchers affiliated to the Flemish research departments of the WOG, in charge of carrying out information-gathering activities in foreign research departments;
- secretarial costs for organizing guest colleges, a limited number of symposia, workshops and research coordination meetings;
- Other expenses subject to prior consent by the FWO.
Profile and conditions
- A WOG consists at least of:
- three research units from at least two eligible host institutions within the Flemish Community (see regulations Article 2);
- minimum two research groups from the French Community and/or from abroad
- One of the Flemish research departments acts as the core group. This department must enjoy an international reputation for its high-quality outstanding scientific research.
- A research unit is only allowed to act as core group for a single ongoing WOG.
- A research unit can apply once as a core group in each application round.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- In 2017 no call will be launched for the WOGs (this is the five-yearly call-stop). In practice, this means that no new WOGs will be financed in 2018, only a renewal of ongoing WOGs is allowed. A next call will be launched in 2018 at the earliest.
- NEW: As from the 1st of January 2018 onwards, the Panel for International Collaboration (CIS) will evaluate the new applications for WOGs and will advise the board of trustees. Reports from ongoing WOGs will still be presented to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC) in 2017.
- The board of trustees decides on the allocation of the funding.
- Applications must be submitted at the secretariat of the FWO before the 1st of October (5:00 PM) of the year preceding the start year, using the appropriate forms. The head of the core group shall send a copy of the application to the head of the host institution. The forms can be downloaded below.