Grant for participation in a conference abroad
The regulations can be consulted here.
The FWO encourages mobility among researchers and international contacts between research groups. This grant supports researchers who wish to actively participate in an international scientific conference abroad. The grants are awarded only for active participation (presentation or poster) in conferences of a purely scientific nature, featuring speeches and discussions of original contributions or reports.
- The grant covers the travel expenses Brussels – conference venue (return trip).
- Submission: online in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- Announcement of results: via personal letter.
- Tickets to be booked with OMNIA travel agency.
- How to book your travel?
- List of OMNIA travel agencies
Profile and conditions
- Throughout the entire period of your stay abroad, you are affiliated to a university or university hospital in the Flemish Community or to a federal or Flemish scientific institute (see regulations for more detailed information).
- Attention: for applications with a departure date from the 1st of October 2016 onwards there is no longer a nationality requirement for predoctoral candidates. Nevertheless, as a PhD student you should have obtained a master degree in one of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland (see regulations for more detailed information). There are no degree or nationality requirements for candidates from postdoctoral level onwards.
- For participation in a conference in Europe, you need to have at least one peer-reviewed publication. For participation in a conference outside Europe, you should preferably already have three or more accepted peer-reviewed publications.
- You give a presentation (poster or oral) at the conference.
- In case you already receive a bench fee within a granted mandate or fellowship, you cannot apply for a travel grant for a conference, short study visit or participation in a workshop/course in one of the member states of the EEA or Switzerland, since this bench fee can be used for these purposes.
- For short study visits, workshops/courses, and conferences, a maximum of two grants per person and per civil year can be awarded.
- You submit your application in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- You attach the official proof of acceptance of your presentation (poster or oral communication). If this official acceptance is not yet available 3 months before the departure date, you can provide FWO with the documents afterwards.
- Your application is submitted to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC).
- If you as a researcher are not part of the senior academic staff (ZAP), your supervisor or the head of your research unit will be asked for a recommendation letter. This recommendation letter of the head of the research unit is also required for researchers affiliated to a Flemish or federal scientific institution who do not hold a permanent statutory appointment. In case of belated submission of this recommendation letter, the application for a travel grant will be declared ineligible.
Please be aware that the International collaboration committee (CIWC) has no meeting in August.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for a ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’
These regulations include all the conditions and procedures for a ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’ at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for a ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’ at FWO.
- Report form ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’ - DOC
- Report form ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’ - PDF
The following forms are available via the FWO e-portal:
- application form
- Notification of a stay abroad