Grant for participation in a workshop or course abroad
This grant supports researchers who wish to participate in a course or workshop abroad giving them the opportunity to (further) specialize in their area of interest in a scientific knowledge or research center within the framework of research or new techniques. The grant covers the travel expenses in order to encourage mobility and international contacts between research groups.
- The grant covers:
- travel expenses Brussels – workshop/course venue (return trip);
- a fixed allowance of € 66 per day, with a maximum of €1.650, for stays with a duration of more than 7 days.
- Submission: online in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- Announcement of results: via e-mail.
- Tickets to be booked with OMNIA travel agency.
- How to book your travel?
- List of OMNIA travel agencies
Profile and conditions
- Throughout the entire period of your stay abroad, you are affiliated to a university or university hospital in the Flemish Community or to a federal or Flemish scientific institute (see regulations for more detailed information).
- Attention: for applications with a departure date from the 1st of October 2016 onwards there is no longer a nationality requirement for predoctoral candidates. Nevertheless, as a PhD student you should have obtained a master degree in one of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland (see regulations for more detailed information). There are no degree or nationality requirements for candidates from postdoctoral level onwards.
- You have at least one peer-reviewed publication. Remark: in case you cannot comply with this requirement, you should clearly motivate this in the appropriate section in the online application form.
- In case you already receive a bench fee within a granted mandate or fellowship, you cannot apply for a travel grant for a conference, short study visit or participation in a workshop/course in one of the member states of the EEA or Switzerland, since this bench fee can be used for these purposes.
- For short study visits, workshops/courses and conferences, a maximum of two grants per person and per civil year can be awarded.
- You submit your application in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- You attach the acceptance letter for the workshop/course.
- Your application is submitted to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC).
- If you as a researcher are not part of the senior academic staff (ZAP), your supervisor or the head of your research unit will be asked for a recommendation letter. This recommendation letter of the head of the research unit is also required for researchers affiliated to a Flemish or federal scientific institution who do not hold a permanent statutory appointment. In case of belated submission of this recommendation letter, the application for a travel grant will be declared ineligible.
Please be aware that the International collaboration committee (CIWC) has no meeting in August.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for a ‘Grant for participation in a workshop or course abroad’
These regulations include all the conditions and procedures for a ‘Grant for participation in a workshop or course abroad’ at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for a ‘Grant for participation in a workshop or course abroad’ at FWO.
- Report form short and long stays abroad - DOC
- Report form short and long stays abroad - PDF
The following forms are available on the FWO e-portal:
- Application form.
- Notification of a stay abroad.