Postdoctoral Fellowship Japan
The FWO wants to optimally promote international collaboration, as a lever for excellence. To this end, the FWO has signed a collaboration agreement with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). Under this agreement, JSPS each year offers two postdoctoral fellowships for foreign researchers.
This programme supports researchers who wish to carry out scientific research at a Japanese institute recognized by JSPS, for a specified period of time. The programme is open to the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
- For research at a Japanese institute recognized by JSPS (see document guidelines below for more information)
- 2 postdoctoral fellowships per year available
- Amount: These grants cover travel expenses (return trip), a settling-in allowance of 200,000 Yen (approx. € 1.500) and a fixed monthly allowance of 362,000 Yen (approx. € 2.700). In addition, the beneficiary receives travel accident and sickness insurance coverage.
- Period: minimum 12 and maximum 24 (full) months
- Submission deadline: April, 3rd 2018 (5 pm Belgian time)
- Announcement of results: via personal letter
- Start Fellowship in Japan: after approval by JSPS and before 30 November 2018
Profile and conditions
- You already are a postdoctoral researcher or you will obtain your postdoctoral degree before start of the JSPS fellowship.
- You obtained your PhD no longer than six years ago, more specifically on or after April 2, 2012.
- You have not previously received a postdoctoral JSPS fellowship.
- Please be aware that researchers with a (partial) Japanese nationality and/or a permanent residency in Japan are not eligible.
- You fill in the application form that you can download on this page (see below) and return it before the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- You attach a research plan, prepared in consultation with the Japanese researcher with whom you will be staying.
- You attach an approval of acceptance of the Japanese supervisors(s) that states that the programme will be executed during the intended period.
- The advice (letter of reference/recommendation) of your supervisor or the head of the research unit should be attached to your application.
- Your application is presented in May to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC). They nominate maximum two candidates.
- JSPS informs both the FWO and the candidate of its final decision within three months.
Regulations and downloads
- Regulations for Postdoctoral Fellowships of JSPS
Here you can find the regulations for the Postdoctoral Fellowships of JSPS
- Guidelines JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2018
Information brochure of the JSPS Postdocotral Fellowships
- List of host institutions
Here you can find a list of host institutions where you can apply for a JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Application form - doc
- Application form - pdf