Clinical PhD fellowship
The Clinical PhD Fellowship supports specialists (doctors, veterinary surgeons, dentists and pharmacists) who are employed in a full-time clinical role, to pursue fundamental clinical research. During the fellowship, the beneficiaries are released from clinical and academic duties in order to focus on their research. In this way, the gap between clinical research and clinical practice is narrowed.
- Period: 2 years (part time)
- The fellowship grant is half the salary paid by the university hospital or veterinary surgery, with a maximum of €35,000 per year.
- For a general practitioner, the grant equals the salary of a part-time assistant at the relevant university.
- Announcement of results: 27 June 2018
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2018
- Success rate 2017: 100 %
Profile and conditions
- You are a doctor, veterinary surgeon, dentist or pharmacist working in Belgium.
- From the start to the end of the fellowship you are employed at an academic hospital or a university veterinary surgery affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community.
- You have received a certificate from your supervisor. This certificate states that you should be able to complete your PhD within the duration of the fellowship.
- You have not previously received a similar fellowship (not even in part).
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor writes a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- The FWO Expert Panels evaluate your application.
- The Expert Panels report to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees decides on your appointment.
- More information
Regulations and downloads
- guide for applicants
This guide can provide all usefull information for your application
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Clinical PhD Fellowship
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-Clinical PhD Fellowship
- Advice, selection- and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO- Clinical PhD fellowship