Doctoral (PhD) grant strategic basic research (SB)
A Doctoral (PhD) Grant Strategic Basic Research allows young researchers to develop into strategically thinking and innovation-oriented scientists.
Strategic basic research in the context of a PhD grant stands for challenging and innovative research (at PhD level), which, if successful, may in the longer term lead to innovative applications with economic added value (for specific companies, for a collective of companies, or a sector, or in line with the VRWI transition areas)
- Period: 2 years, renewable once
- Net scholarship amount: minimum €1,860.55
- Fixed bench fee: €3,720/year
- The call 2017 will be opened around June 15, 2017
- Submission deadline: 17h00 September 15, 2017
- Announcements of results around December 15, 2017
- Start of fellowship: January 1, 2018
- Success rate 2016: 30%
Profile and conditions
- You have a master degree from one of the countries of the EU or the EER or Switzerland.
- You have obtained this degree with at least ‘distinction’, and no longer than 5 years ago.
- At the beginning of the fellowship (January 1st), you have no more than 18 months of scientific experience.
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- Full details can be found in the Regulations Doctoral (PhD) grants strategic basic research
Infosessions call 2016
You can find the presentation of this infosession here. New infosessions, on the call 2017, will be organized at the 5 Flemish universities in due time.
- You submit your application online
- Your application is screened on eligibility.
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation
- You will be invited to defend your application to an international SB expert panel.
- The selection is based on the marks (3 criteria: ‘candidate’, ‘project’ and ‘application potential’) given by the panels.
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment.
- You receive feedback on the decision.
- More detailed information on the procedure can be found here. (version 2016)
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to all funding provided by the FWO.
- Regulations for SB fellowships
These regulations apply to the application for and awarding of SB fellowships by the FWO.
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information about the bench fees for PhD and Postdoctoral Researchers of the FWO. These regulations also apply to new FWO SB fellows.
- Regulations internal and external peer review
These regulations describe how the SB expert panels should be composed, the conduct code, as well as the scoring and selection approach.
Documents and additional information for applicants SB
These documents will be updated for the 2017 call. You can find an overview of the documents and templates. These are also available via the e-portal.
- Application and evaluation procedure
- guide for applicants
This guide provides all information to prepare your application
- Example application form SB
- Disciplinecodes (PDF)
- VRWI 2025 prioriteiten
- Attest niet-Vlaamse master diploma’s (via e-loket)
- Score Grid 2016
Documents and additional information for current FWO SB fellows
- The presentation of the info session (Jan. 2017) for the new fellows SB is available here.
The following forms are available via the e-portal and completed forms can also be uploaded there:
- Application for bicycle allowance
- Cumulation request
- Restrictions of assignments
- Notice of stay abroad
- Notice of assignments
Additional information for SB fellows (started in 2015 and earlier)
These apply to the SB fellows who started before 1 January 2016.
Since 1 January 2016 these grants have been managed by the Flanders Innovation & Entrepreneurship, into which the former IWT has been merged.
Additional information and documents via http://www.vlaio.be/themas/doctoraatsbeurzen-strategisch-basisonderzoek.