PhD Fellowship fundamental research (Call opens in December 2018)
The PhD Fellowship fundamental research is the most important funding channel to prepare young and promising researchers to complete their PhD. For the funding of a limited number of fellowships, the FWO collaborates with: SCK•CEN, L'Oreal-Unesco and VITO. The PhD research must be fundamental in nature.
- Period: 2 years, renewable once
- Net scholarship amount: minimum € 1,897.76
- Fixed bench fee: €3,720/year
- NEW CALL OPENS IN DECEMBER 2018
- Deadline: 1 March 2019
- Announcement of results: October 2019
- Start of fellowship: 1 November 2019
Profile and conditions
- You are affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community or to the Evangelic Protestant Faculty in Leuven or the Faculty for Protestant Theology in Brussels
- At the start of the fellowship, candidates must be holder of a diploma at least equivalent to a master's degree following a bachelor's degree and awarded by the competent institutions in one of the countries of the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- The master's degree or equivalent diploma, on the basis of which the application is submitted, must have been obtained not earlier than three years before the closing date of the call.
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- On 1 November you have 18 months scientific seniority at most.
- You have not previously received an FWO fellowship (not even in part).
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- Transitional measures
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- The applications are submitted to the FWO Expertpanels.
- in May, after the preseslection, you can be invited for a second round with interview
- If you are selected for the second round, you'll be interviewed by the panel at the end of August or in the course of September
- The Expertpanels report to the Board of Trustees
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for PhD Fellowship - fundamental research
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-PhD Fellowship fundamental research
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information concerning the bench fee for FWO-PhD Fellowships and postdctoral fellowships