Renewed programme: PhD fellowship strategic basic research (call opens in December 2018)
A PhD fellowship strategic basic research allows young researchers to develop into strategically thinking and innovation-oriented scientists.
Strategic basic research in the context of a PhD grant stands for challenging and innovative research (at PhD level), which, if successful, may in the longer term lead to innovative applications with economic added value (for specific companies, for a collective of companies, or a sector.
- Period: 2 years, renewable once
- Net scholarship amount: minimum € 1,897.76
- Fixed bench fee: €3,720 per year
- NEW CALL OPENS IN DECEMBER 2018
- Deadline: 1 March 2019
- Announcement of results: October 2019
- Start of fellowship: 1 November 2019
Profile and conditions
- You are affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community.
- At the start of the fellowship, candidates must be holder of a diploma at least equivalent to a master's degree following a bachelor's degree and awarded by the competent institutions in one of the countries of the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- The master's degree or equivalent diploma, on the basis of which the application is submitted, must have been obtained not earlier than three years before the closing date of the call.
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- On 1 November you have 18 months scientific seniority at most.
- You have not previously received an FWO fellowship (not even in part).
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- Transitional measures
Submission and selection procedure
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- The applications are submitted to the FWO Expertpanels.
- in May, after the preseslection, you can be invited for a second round with interview
- If you are selected for the second round, you'll be interviewed by the panel at the end of August or in the course of September
- The Expertpanels report to the Board of Trustees
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to all funding provided by the FWO.
- Regulations for PhD fellowship strategic basic research
These regulations apply to the application for and awarding of PhD fellowships strategic basic research by the FWO.
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information about the bench fees for PhD and Postdoctoral Researchers of the FWO. These regulations also apply to new FWO SB fellows.