The PhD Fellowship is the most important funding channel to prepare young and promising researchers to complete their PhD. For the funding of a limited number of fellowships, the FWO collaborates with: SCK•CEN, L'Oreal-Unesco and VITO. The PhD research must be fundamental in nature.
- Period: 2 years, renewable once
- Net scholarship amount: minimum € 1,897.76
- Fixed bench fee: €3,720/year
- Announcement of results: 27 June 2018
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2018
- Success rate 2017: 21,31%
Profile and conditions
- You have a master degree from one of the countries of the EU or the EER or Switzerland.
- If, on October 1, you are older than 31 years, you must have obtained this degree no longer than 5 years ago (see regulations for details).
- You have not previously received an FWO fellowship (not even in part).
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- On 1 October you have three years scientific seniority at most.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
Transitional measure: in application year 2019, applications can still be made under the old seniority rules if it is not the first application and the candidate has not yet exhausted the number of applications allowed under the old regulations.
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- The applications are submitted to the FWO Expertpanels.
- The Expertpanels compile a ranking.
- The allocation of the number of fellowships to be granted by each panel
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
- More information
Regulations and downloads
- guide for applicants
This guide can provide all usefull information for your application
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for PhD Fellowship
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-PhD Fellowship
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information concerning the bench fee for FWO-PhD Fellowships and postdctoral fellowships
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO- PhD fellowship
- Fellowships SCK-CEN
Information about the fellowships of SCK-CEN
- Fellowships L'Oreal-UNESCO
Information about the fellowships of L'Oreal-UNESCO
- Fellowships VITO
Information about the fellowships of VITO