The PhD Fellowship is the most important funding channel to prepare young and promising researchers to complete their PhD. For the funding of a limited number of fellowships, the FWO collaborates with: SCK•CEN, L'Oreal-Unesco and VITO. The PhD research must be fundamental in nature.
- Period: 2 years, renewable once
- Net scholarship amount: minimum €1,860.55
- Fixed bench fee: €3,720/year
- Deadline: 1 February 2017
- Announcement of results: 28 June 2017
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2017
- Success rate 2016: 20,44%
Profile and conditions
- You have a master degree from one of the countries of the EU or the EER or Switzerland.
- If, on October 1, you are older than 31 years, you must have obtained this degree no longer than 5 years ago (see regulations for details).
- You have not previously received an FWO fellowship (not even in part).
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- On 1 October you have three years scientific seniority at most.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- The applications are submitted to the FWO Expertpanels.
- The Expertpanels compile a ranking.
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
- More information
Regulations and downloads
- guide for applicants
This guide can provide all usefull information for your application
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for PhD Fellowship
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-PhD Fellowship
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information concerning the bench fee for FWO-PhD Fellowships and postdctoral fellowships
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO- PhD fellowship
- Fellowships SCK-CEN
Information about the fellowships of SCK-CEN
- Fellowships L'Oreal-UNESCO
Information about the fellowships of L'Oreal-UNESCO
- Fellowships VITO
Information about the fellowships of VITO