From the call of 2019 for postdoctoral fellowships on (submission deadline: 1 December 2018) two types of fellowship can be applied for: junior postdoctoral fellowship and senior postdoctoral fellowship.
The existing scheme for first postdoctoral fellowships will be considered as being equivalent with the new junior type, whereas the existing postdoctoral fellowship renewal will be considered as being equivalent with the new senior type.
The postdoctoral fellowships are intended to support researchers who have only recently completed their PhD, in developing an independent, international research career.
- Period: 3 years, renewable once
- Salary scale: minimum €29,069.73 - maximum €45,317.25
- Announcement of results: 27 June 2018
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2018
- Success rate 2017: 27,39%
Profile and conditions
- You hold a PhD.
- You can apply for a postdoctoral fellowship in the first 3 years after obtaining your PhD (date of PhD degree), calculated from June 1 of the year of applying.
- You have not previously received a similar fellowship (not even in part).
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
Attention: from the call of 2019 for postdoctoral fellowships on (submission deadline: 1 December 2018) two types of fellowship can be applied for: junior postdoctoral fellowship and senior postdoctoral fellowship. For each programme candidates can apply twice.
In that context, the existing scheme for first postdoctoral fellowships will be considered as being equivalent with the new junior type, whereas the existing postdoctoral fellowship renewal will be considered as being equivalent with the new senior type. Consequently, candidates who applied for a first postdoctoral fellowship before December 1st 2018 can submit one application for the junior type and those who applied before that date for a renewal can apply once for a senior type.
Of course, all eligibility and other rules in the new regulation will have to be met with by all candidates. However, candidates who already applied once for a postdoctoral fellowship of FWO before the call 2019 and still meet the eligibility requirements except for the postdoctoral seniority can apply for a second time during call 2019 under the former seniority rules. Consequently, if a candidate wants to apply a second time for a postdoctoral fellowship during call 2019 his/her PhD should have been obtained not earlier than 1 June 2016. The new seniority rule will apply for all candidates submitting a proposal for a postdoctoral fellowship during call 2019 for the first time, meaning that their PhD should have been obtained not earlier than 30 September 2016.
- You contact a head of a research unit at an applicable host institution (art. 3 of the regulations postdoctoral fellowship)
- You propose a list of 10 referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible).
- The head of the research is invited to write a recommendation letter.
- You complete your application online
- The FWO Expertpanels evaluate your application.
- The allocation of the number of fellowships to be granted by each panel
- The Expertpanels compile a ranking.
- The Board of Trustees endorses the proposals.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
- More information
Regulations and downloads
- guide for applicants
This guide can provide all usefull information for your application
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Postdoctoral Fellowship
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information concerning the bench fee for FWO-PhD Fellowships and postdctoral fellowships
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO- Postdoctoral fellowship