Medium-scale research infrastructure
Research infrastructure comprises all facilities and sources that promote the performance of cross-border and strategic basic research across all scientific disciplines. Besides scientific infrastructure, this includes collections, natural habitats, corpora and databases (including digital opening up).
Medium-scale research infrastructure is defined as research infrastructure with a total financing cost of at least EUR 150,000 and at most EUR 1,000,000 (including VAT).
- Project period: 4 years, renewable with maximum two years
- Eligible organizations: Flemish university and university college research groups, for academic courses in Audiovisual and Expressive Art, in Music and Performing arts within the School of Arts, and in Maritime Academy. Applications for medium-scale research infrastructure are made within each association.
- Acceptable costs:
- Equipment: Costs for research investments, i.e. the costs of purchasing and connecting the research infrastructure or purchasing the components for the construction of the planned research infrastructure, including the non-refundable portion of VAT. This also includes the upgrading, i.e. the substantial improvement of existing research infrastructure;
- Personnel costs for the development and construction of the research infrastructure. This also includes the personnel costs for upgrading the research infrastructure and the costs for the operational or maintenance personnel once the infrastructure is up and running;
- Operational costs consisting of maintenance costs over the entire depreciation period, i.e. the costs arising from maintenance agreements or research infrastructure upgrades and equipment repairs.
- Funding percentage: 100%
- Available budget for current call medium scale RI: € 19.6 M
- Call open: from March 30, 2017
- Submission of applications through the FWO e-portal
- Deadline transfer of the proposal in preparation from project supervisor to the ‘host institution of the supervisor’ (=main applicant): September 18th at 5 PM
- Deadline submission final project proposal by the main applicant: September 25, 2017 at 5 PM
- Announcement of results: March 2018
Important changes compared to the previous call
- Project proposals have to be submitted via the FWO e-portal.
- Only three cost categories eligible for subsidies are retained: equipment, personnel costs and operational costs. For each year these costs should be specified per institution.
- The overhead percentage applicable to research infrastructure projects is 10 percent. This overhead must be used primarily to cover the costs for modifications to buildings and connection costs relating to the research infrastructure. The rule that a maximum of 15 percent of the subsidy allocated to the application can go towards costs of modifying buildings and connection costs, equipment repair costs and personnel costs for the permanent maintenance and operation of the research infrastructure, no longer exists.
- Maximum 15 percent of the allocated subsidy may be used for personnel training, education and retraining costs on the use of the research infrastructure.
- Only a cooperation with foreign organisations is allowed if the research infrastructure to be subsidised is located in Flanders.
- Each association incorporates a regulation on medium-scale research infrastructure into its Association Research and Cooperation Regulations and establishes an internal selection procedure. For this call the Association University-Colleges Limburg transfers her drawing rights to the next call.
- As supervisor of the infrastructure project, you prepare your proposal via the FWO e-portal and transfer your proposal in preparation to your host institution (= main applicant of the proposal ). The internal deadline is September 18th. Please contact the research coordination office of your research institution for and practicalities.
- Your host institution submits your proposal to FWO via the e-portal by September 25, 2017 at 5 PM. Application dossiers must clearly indicate whether
- there is cooperation within the association;
- there is cooperation with (an)other association(s) or with third parties;
- such cooperation with (an)other association(s) or with third parties will be developed further.
- Between September 28th, 2017 and October 20th, 2017 the associations consult each other with a view to achieving maximum cooperation;
- The applications are assessed in accordance with the provisions of the general research and cooperation regulations of the association:
- Each association draws up an indicative list of applications proposed for subsidies and transfers this indicative list to the FWO before February 2, 2018.
- For each association, the FWO assesses the indicative lists taking into account the selection criteria of each association, as well as the results of the inter-association consultations;
- The FWO board of trustees makes a final decision on the financing to be allocated in during its meeting in March 2018.
Regulations and downloads
- Example of an application form
- Guideliness medium scale research infrastructure
- FWO Regulations medium scale research infrastructure
General questions on the call for medium-scale research infrastructure or specific questions related to submitting an application for this call, can be obtained from the associations’ contact person.
Any additional information can be obtained from the secretariat of the Research Foundation - Flanders, Egmontstraat 5, 1000 BRUSSELS, tel 02 512 512.91 10 or email@example.com.
Questions regarding the functionality of the e-portal should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact persons within the associations:
- Associatie KU Leuven
Hoofd Nationale Fondsen - Onderzoekscoördinatie KU Leuven
Schapenstraat 34 bus 5100
Tel: +32 (0)16 320949
- Associatie Universiteit Gent
Directie Onderzoeksaangelegenheden UGent
Tel: +32 (0)9 264 98 44
- Associatie Universiteit & Hogescholen Antwerpen
Grants Office UAntwerpen
Tel: +32 (0)3 265 30 35
- Associatie Universiteit-Hogescholen Limburg
Stafmedewerker Onderzoek Associatie Universiteit-Hogescholen Limburg
Tel: +32 (0)11 26 80 28
- Universitaire Associatie Brussel
Arlette De Bruyn
Beleidsmedewerker R&D-departement VUB
Tel: +32 (0)2 629 14 85