New programme: Junior and Senior Research projects
Research projects are initiated by the researchers.Two types can be awarded: junior and senior research projects. The objective of the FWO's Research projects is to advance fundamental scientific research. This happen on initiative of the researcher in all scientific disciplines.
- Period: 4 years, renewable with maximum two years
- Staff and consumables: €45,000 to €130,000 per year
- Additional equipment / matching funding: maximum €150,000
- CALL OPENS IN DECEMBER 2018
- Deadline: 1 April 2019
- Announcement of results: December 2019
- Start of project: 1 January 2020
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of an applicable Flemish host institution, but a non-Flemish partner may participate for 10 percent of the budget
- Your research project will be carried out under the direction of a supervisor, possibly in collaboration with one or more co-supervisors.
- A researcher can act as (co-)supervisor for maximum two projects per application round. You can only apply if your requested and ongoing fundamental research projects does not exceed two.
- For junior projects a supervisor-spokesperson and (co-)supervisor must have obtained his/her first PhD degree maximum 12 years before the submission deadline of the project application.
- For senior projects he supervisor-spokesperson or the (co-)supervisor has obtained his/her first PhD degree more than 12 years before the submission deadline of the project application.
- All material acquired with a grant for consumables/equipment of the FWO shall become the property of the university.
- The host institution is the employer of staff remunerated on research projects.
- Supervisors and co-supervisors are not allowed any remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration on a research project.
The real cost is used when the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) already known. When the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) not yet known, indicative amounts may be used.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- Take a look at the different research projects you can apply for in 2016
- You submit your proposal online.
- Your application is submitted to a number of external referees for evaluation.
- You can react on the comments of the external referees
- The FWO Expertpanels evaluate your application.
- The Expertpanels report to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees takes the final decision.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
- More information
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects (valid from call 2019)
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project