Bilateral research cooperation Québec
The FWO wants to fully stimulate international cooperation, as leverage for excellence. This is why the FWO has entered into a bilateral agreement in order to finance joint research projects. These projects go further than the classic exchange projects, because staff and consumables can also be financed with these projects.
One of the selected countries and regions is Québec. The FWO reached an agreement with the research fund ‘Fonds de Recherche de Québec’ (FRQ) to finance new multi- or interdisciplinary fundamental research projects covering research domains falling under at least two of the three Quebec Research Funds (FRQNT, FRQS or FRQSC). In addition, the research needs to be conducted in the following fields:
- Demographic changes and healthy aging (aspects related to issues with an ageing population)
- Safe, clean and efficient energy (all aspects of renewable energy: advanced technologies, green energy, socio-economic and health related aspects, change in practices)
- Sea & inland waterways governance/valorization (maritime industry, import / export, socio-economic aspects related to marine transportation)
- Food science (nutrition, agri-food sciences, food safety, sustainable food production, bio-economy, and eating habits)
- Climate change (socio-economic studies, impact on health, living with environmental changes, bio-economy…)
- Urban development (Smart and livable cities; ecological, technological, humane, and futuristic aspects)
- Joint research project with partner from Québec
- Period: 3 years
- FWO personnel and consumables: minimally € 45,000 and maximally €75,000 per year per project
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: December 2017
- Start project: 1st of January 2018
- Success rate 2015: 18%
Profile and conditions?
- In order to promote intersectorality and interdisciplinarity, the proposal covers research domains falling under at least two of the three FRQ Research Funds (FRQNT, FRQS or FRQSC):
- Health sciences (Domains covered by FRQS)
- Social and human sciences, arts and letters (Domains covered by FRQSC)
- Natural sciences, mathematics and engineering (Domains covered by FRQNT)
- The collaboration with partners from Québec will have added value for your research.
- As team of researchers, you need operation, equipment and staff grants.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of an applicable Flemish host institution (article 3 regulations research project).
- There must be a principal investigator (supervisor) and co-investigator (co-supervisor) included on both the Flemish and the Québec side (article 9 regulations research project). Québec applicants are subject to the FRQ Common General Rules.
- In the framework of this call with FRQ, you can only act once as a principle investigator or co-investigator.
- All material acquired thanks to an operation or equipment grant from the FWO, shall become property of the university.
- The receiving institution is employer of the staff remunerated in research projects.
- No remuneration or cumulation of a remuneration is allowed for (co-) supervisors in connection with a research project.
- Applications in the framework of this bilateral research cooperation with Québec do not count toward the calculation of the maximum number of projects per application round for which you may act as (co-)supervisor. In addition, supervisor-spokesman, who were awarded a project, do not need to skip an application round before being able to submit an application.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
How does the application process proceed?
- You submit your joint application by using the online application form in the FWO E-Loket, before the deadline. The complete application, including budget for the Québec part of the application and Canadian Common CVs of researchers involved from Québec, must be submitted to FWO.
- Each supervisor and co-supervisor of both the Flemish and Québec research team must have online profile including an updated list of publications on the FWO E-portal.
- You propose 10 external reviewers (also called referees) in your application (in order to see who is eligible, please consult the regulations). As the projects are intersectoral, it is essential to supply names of reviewers that can cover the different sectors. Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Québec. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Québec partner(s).
- Your application is presented to a number of these reviewers for evaluation.
- A joint selection committee comprising experts designated by the FWO and the FRQ makes a final ranking.
- The selection committee reports to the Board of Trustees of the FWO and the FRQ.
- The board of trustees makes a decision on your award.
- Afterwards you will receive feedback on this decision.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project
- Collaboration agreement FWO & FRQ
Collaboration agreement between FWO and FRQ
- Guidelines for Applicants
These guidelines should help applicants in preparing their application.
- Example of an application form