Cooperation with Luxembourg
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries. To allow joint research projects to be set up between Flanders and Luxembourg, the FWO has signed a Lead Agency Procedure agreement (LAP) with the Luxembourg "Fonds National de la Recherche" (FNR). The Lead Agency is responsible for the coordination and implementation of the assessment procedure and for the funding decision.
- The cooperation with FNR is based on a Lead Agency Procedure in which FWO is always the Lead Agency. Applications must always be submitted at FWO through E-loket by the Flemish partner. In addition the Luxembourg partner needs to submit the necessary documents at FNR.
- It must be an integrated research proposal with one central problem, methodology and elaboration.
- Period: 4 years.
- FWO staff and consumables: €45,000 to €130,000.
- FWO equipment/matching funding: maximum €150,000.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: 28 November 2018.
- Start of project: 1 January 2019.
- Success rate 2017: evaluated together with the regular FWO research projects.
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants to conduct a joint research project combining complementary expertise and relevant scientific input from both sides.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of an eligible Flemish host institution (Article 3).
- The supervisor who also acts as the responsible spokesperson vis-à-vis the FWO, must comply with Article 9 of the regulations for research projects.
- Within this application round (2018) FWO-FNR applications are considered as regular FWO research projects. This means that:
- Supervisor-spokespersons that were awarded a regular FWO research project (including the LAP projects with Slovenia, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland) in the 2017 application round, are not eligible to submit an FWO-FNR project this application round (2018).
- Applications in the framework of this LAP procedure with Luxembourg are taken into account when calculating the maximum number of projects per applications round for which you can act as a (co-)promotor.
- Granted projects starting on 01/01/2019 are taken into account for the maximum of two projects applied for and ongoing on the start date of the newly allocated project.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- Take a look at the different research projects you can apply for in this application round
- The application procedure can be summarized as follows:
- The Flemish partner submits the application in English via the FWO E-loket taking into account the abovementioned deadline.
- In addition, the Luxembourg partner needs to submit the following forms at FNR:
- FWO-application form
- INTER budget sheet
- INTER budget details
- INTER project plan
- These documents have to be submitted at FNR not later than 5 days after the submission deadline by FWO. These documents and more information about the procedure, are available on the FNR website.
- Each supervisor and co-supervisor of both the Flemish and Luxembourg research team must have online profile including an updated list of publications on the FWO E-portal.
- The applications are assessed for eligibility; the FWO and FNR check whether the application meets the formal requirements.
- You propose a list of 10 external referees (eligibility criteria). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Luxembourg. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) between the proposed international referees and the Luxembourg partner(s).
- Your application is presented to a number of these referees for evaluation.
- The FWO expert panels evaluate your application.
- Final decision taken by the board of trustees of FWO and the FNR Board.
Regulations and downloads
- Example of an application form
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO Research Project.