Cooperation with Bulgaria
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential exchange projects.
To further stimulate scientific collaboration between Flanders and Bulgaria, the FWO has signed an agreement with the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS).
- Duration of projects: 3 years
- Exchange of researchers in the context of a cooperation project.
- The funding covers
- for the Flemish researcher(s): travel and living expenses;
- for the Bulgarian researcher(s): living expenses. (Please be aware that BAS will not cover the travel expenses of the Bulgarian researchers.)
- The host country pays the accommodation costs.
- BAS pays the Flemish researcher(s) a daily living allowance of 40 BGN (or max. 840 BGN per month) + reimbursement of accommodation expenses;
- FWO pays the Bulgarian researcher(s) a daily living allowance of € 50 (or max. € 1,300 per month) + reimbursement of accommodation expenses. The travel expenses of the Flemish researcher(s) as far as the place of work in Bulgaria are reimbursed by FWO as well.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: December 2017
- Start of project: 1st of January 2018
Profile and conditions
- As a Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and BAS.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Bulgaria. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Bulgarian partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The Panel of International Scientific Contacts (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
Regulations and downloads
- list of the BAS institutes/research units
Researchers from the 42 BAS research units are eligible for exchanges within the framework of the FWO/BAS Agreement
- Advice, selection- and evaluation criteria