Cooperation with Hungary
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential joint exchange projects.
On the 19th of March, 2015 the official signing of the new cooperation agreement between the FWO and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (HAS / MTA) took place in Brussels. After a first successful call in 2015, a second call for collaborative projects is now launched in order to further promote scientific cooperation between Flanders and Hungary. The new co-operation agreement replaces the old exchange agreement with the result that the continuous application process has been replaced by regular calls for submission.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Joint exchange projects with special attention to young researchers: in each exchange project at Flemish side at least one young scientist with no more than 6 years of postdoctoral experience should be engaged
- The funding covers travel and living expenses.
- Travel expenses to the host country, as far as the place of work, are covered by the sending country. The host country pays the living expenses.
- FWO pays researcher(s) from Hungary a daily living allowance of € 66 per day (or max. € 1650 per month) which can be used to cover the accommodation costs.
- HAS pays researcher(s) from Flanders the accommodation costs and in addition a daily living allowance of 6000 HUF per day.
- Call open until the 15th of September 2017 (at FWO: 5 pm Belgian time).
- Announcement of results: December 2017
- Start of project: beginning of 2018
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and HAS.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Hungary. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Hungarian partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The Panel of International Scientific Contacts (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
Regulations and downloads
- Call Protocol
This document contains all the conditions and procedures for the HAS-FWO call.