Cooperation with Japan
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential scientific cooperation projects.
To strengthen scientific collaboration between Japan and Flanders, the FWO has signed an agreement with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). This agreement aims to establish a concrete partnership between Japan and Flanders and to stimulate collaboration between both countries in the area of research and development by conducting joint cooperation projects.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Call 2018: maximum 2 projects to be funded
- The funding covers
- travel expenses between Flanders and Japan
- accommodation, living expenses and domestic travel in both countries (covered by the daily living allowance)
- Each party bears the full costs of its own researchers:
- FWO offers researchers from Flanders a daily living allowance of € 66 (or max. €1,650 per month) on top of the travel expenses towards/from Japan, to be booked through Omnia Travel.
- JSPS pays the researchers from Japan a total amount of maximum 2,500,000 JPY (about € 19,500) per year to cover the travel expenses towards/from and the stay within Flanders.
- Call open until the 5th of September 2018 (5 pm Belgian time). Please be aware that at Japanese side, the universities have different internal deadlines (earlier than 5th of September 2018). For more information: contact JSPS.
- Announcement of results: December 2018
- Start of project: between the 1st of April 2019 and the 31st of March 2020
Profile and conditions
- You hold a PhD.
- You hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Your project proposal must be submitted simultaneously to FWO and JSPS.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Japan. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Japanese partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The International Collaboration Committee (CIWC) or the Panel for International Collaboration (CIS) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with JSPS.
Regulations and downloads
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with Japan and FWO.
- Framework agreement FWO & JSPS
Framework agreement between the FWO and the Japanese partner JSPS.
- International exchange projects - template for final reports - PDF
- From July 1, flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe Smart Travel Ghent and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.