Cooperation with Poland
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential joint collaboration projects.
In the frame of the current agreement with the Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS), a new call for joint collaboration projects is launched in order to further promote scientific cooperation between Flanders and Poland in all research domains.
- Duration of projects: 3 years
- The funding covers travel and living expenses:
- FWO pays researcher(s) from Poland a fixed daily allowance of € 50 in addition to the accommodation costs (max. €1,300 per month). The international travel costs of the Flemish researcher(s) to and from Poland are also paid by FWO.
- PAS pays the international travel costs of the Polish researcher(s) to and from Belgium. In addition, PAS pays the Flemish researcher(s) a daily allowance of 90 PLN in addition to a maximum amount of 160 PLN for the accommodation expenses, in the case of short visits (less than 4 weeks). For long visits, this is 900 PLN per month in addition to a maximum amount of 1600 PLN for the accommodation expenses.
- Call open until the 14th of September 2018 (at FWO: 5 pm Belgian time)
- Announcement of results: November-December 2018
- Start of project: January 2019
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and PAS.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Poland. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Polish partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The International collaboration committee (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to every submission at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with Poland at FWO.
- Agreement FWO-PAS
- Guide for applicants
This guide contains all requirements, procedures, etc. for the application of a project within the framework of the collaboration agreement with PAS.
- Notification of a stay abroad (pdf)
- From July 1, flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe Smart Travel Ghent and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.