Cooperation with Switzerland
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries. To allow joint research projects to be set up between Flanders and Switzerland, the FWO has signed a Lead Agency Procedure (LAP) agreement with the Swiss SNSF (Swiss National Science Fund). The Lead Agency is responsible for the coordination and implementation of the assessment procedure and for the funding decision.
In the framework of this Lead Agency Procedure agreement SNSF will be the Lead Agency for this application round with deadline in 2018. This means that SNSF will implement the entire evaluation and selection procedure in 2018.
- The cooperation with SNSF is based on a Lead Agency Procedure in which SNSF is the Lead Agency for this application round (2018). The full application must be submitted by the Swiss partner at SNSF. The Flemish partner only needs to submit a cost sheet at FWO via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It must be an integrated research proposal with one central problem, methodology and elaboration.
- Period: 4 years.
- FWO staff and consumables: €45,000 to €130,000.
- FWO equipment/matching funding: maximum €150,000.
- SNSF deadline: 3 April 2018 (5pm)
FWO deadline: 3 April 2018 (5pm)
- Announcement of results: October-November 2018.
- Start of project: 1 January 2019.
- Success rate 2017: same success rate as regular FWO projects.
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants to conduct a joint research project combining complementary expertise and relevant scientific input from both sides.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of an eligible Flemish host institution (Article 3).
- The supervisor who also acts as the responsible spokesperson vis-à-vis the FWO, must comply with Article 9.
- Within this application round (2018) FWO-SNSF applications are considered as regular FWO research projects. This means that:
- Applications in the framework of this LAP procedure with Switzerland are taken into account when calculating the maximum number of projects per applications round for which you can act as a (co-)promotor.
- Supervisor-spokespersons that were awarded a regular FWO research project (including the LAP projects with Slovenia, Luxembourg, Austria, and Switzerland) in the 2017 application round, are not eligible to submit an FWO-SNSF project this application round (2018).
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- Take a look at the different research projects you can apply for in this application round.
- The partners follow the assessment procedure of the organization acting as Lead Agency. For this call (2018) SNSF is the Lead Agency.
- The application procedure for the SNSF as Lead Agency, can be summarized as follows:
- The Swiss partner submits the application at SNSF before 3 April 2018 (5pm).
- In addition, the Flemish partner needs to submit a cost sheet to FWO via email@example.com before 3 April 2018 (5pm).
- The applications are assessed for eligibility: the FWO and SNSF check whether the application meets the formal requirements.
- International peer-review and evaluation by SNSF.
- Final decision taken by the board of trustees of FWO and SNSF.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for an FWO Research Project.