Research project Kom op tegen Kanker
In the context of the ‘Kom op tegen Kanker’ campaign, the FWO awards an allowance of €1,000,000 to support a project conducting research in the area of the campaign theme. The theme for this call is 'Research on improving the quality of life in case of cancer, on the basis of Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs).’ With this call for projects, we want to encourage research that improves the quality of life of cancer patients before, during and after their treatments. An important aspect in this is actually consulting the patients and measuring the quality of life using so-called patient reported outcome measures (PROMs). PROMs are multidimensional questionnaires for patients that help us to gain a more complete understanding of the impact of cancer and the cancer treatments on the patient’s quality of life’.
- Yearly call
- Period: 2 year
- Staff and bench fee: minimum €45,000 - maximum €130,000
- Additional equipment / matching funding: maximum €150,000
- Theme: Research about late effects of treatment of cancer survivors
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: 28 November 2018
- Start of project: 1 January 2019
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need bench fees, equipment and personnel grants.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of a university in the Flemish Community or at officially registered higher education institutions that can award a PhD degree, and, where appropriate, in collaboration with Flemish or federal scientific institutions.
- Your research relates to the theme of the "Kom op tegen Kanker" campaign, ‘'Research on improving the quality of life in case of cancer, on the basis of Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs)’.
- Your research project will be carried out under the direction of a supervisor, possibly in collaboration with one or more co-supervisors.
- All material acquired under a bench fee or equipment grant of the FWO shall become the property of the university.
- The host institution is the employer of staff remunerated under research projects.
- Supervisors and co-supervisors are not allowed any remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration under a research project.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- You propose a list of 10 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible).
- Your application is submitted to a number of these referees for evaluation.
- A dedicated FWO Panl of scientific experts evaluates your application.
- Starting with the current call of 2018, the FWO will ask patients (or patient representative bodies) to advize the scientific evaluation committee on certain aspects of the project. This approach is specific for the research projects in the context of Kom op tegen Kanker, and is aligned with the procedure adopted by Kom op tegen Kanker for its research projects. For this stage of the evaluation applicants are required to explain the (envisaged) relevance and short-term impact of their project in a way that is understandable to non-experts. An extra form will be added to the application (see below, ‘Downloads’); this form will be read by the existing patients committee (installed since 2016) of Kom op tegen Kanker to evaluate the submitted projects. This patients committee will only address the afore mentioned aspects of the project, i.e. the relevance and short-term impact for patients, and they will formulate a non-binding advice for the FWO’s scientific expert panel.
- This Expert Panel reports to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment.
- Applicants receive feedback on their application after the final decision by the Board.
Regulations and downloads
- Example of an application form
- Form for the patients committe of Kom op tegen Kanker
Please download this Word form and fill in the fields according to the specifications as mentioned on p.1 of the form. The form, correctly filled in in Dutch and written so as to be understandable to a non-expert audience, has to be sent to the email firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline of June 4 2018 at 17:00. The application is complete only if both the e-loket AND this Word form are completed and submitted to FWO!
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO Research Project