Special PhD fellowship
The special PhD fellowship enables persons not employed within scientific research to complete a PhD within one year. Applicants must be in possession of a "temporary leave" certificate issued by their current employer.
- Period: 1 year
- Net scholarship amount: identical to the last net salary of the main activity
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: 28 June 2017
- Start of fellowship: 1 September 2017
- Success rate 2016: 71,43%
Profile and conditions
- You have a master degree from one of the countries of the EU or the EER or Switzerland.
- You are permanently employed.
- You are not professionally involved in scientific research.
- Your employer is willing to give you temporary leave or unpaid leave for 1 year. You are entitled to return to your job after the leave ends.
- You relinquish any secondary activity and associated remuneration.
- You have not previously received an FWO fellowship (not even in part).
- Clinicians cannot apply for a special PhD fellowship. They can apply for a clinical PhD fellowship.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor is invited by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- Your application is submitted to the FWO Expert Panels.
- The Expertpanels report to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees decides on your appointment.
- More information
Regulations and downloads
- guide for applicants
This guide can provide all usefull information for your application
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Special PhD Fellowship
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-Special PhD Fellowship
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO- Special PhD fellowship