vacancy in the Department of Accountancy and Finance for a researcher in the area of Computer Science
For its participation to the Horizon 2020 EURHISFIRM project the Faculty of Applied Economics is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Accountancy and Finance for a researcher in the area of Computer Science (pre or post-doctoral).
EURHISFIRM is a consortium of eleven research institutions from seven European countries and is financed by the European Commission’s Infrastructure Development Program of Horizon 2020. Its aim is to develop world-class research infrastructure (https://ec.europa.eu/research/infrastructures/index_en.cfm?pg=home). EURHISFIRM aims at designing a European research infrastructure for long-term company data. Using this infrastructure researchers and other stakeholders will have easy electronic access to long-term data series on European companies. It will develop methods to construct national databases, to link them and to query them in a uniform way. Innovative methods will be developed to efficiently feed data to the databases, thereby enabling a “big data” revolution in the historical social sciences and unlocking European cultural heritage to a broad audience.
The person filling this vacancy will participate to (a) the conceptual description of the structure of input and output modules (b) the analysis of the data structure and architecture of existing databases (c) the design of prototypes (d) the improvement of existing modules and their integration in an overarching software package concerning companies. He/she will work at SCOB, the University of Antwerp research center for historical research on financial data (www.scob.be), and in close cooperation with the research teams of the other members of the consortium.
- You are responsible for the database and IT components of a financial-historical research project.
- You investigate the existing University of Antwerp database and propose improvements to adapt it to a pan-European scope.
- You collaborate with different research teams from several European countries, more specifically their IT experts.
- You investigate existing databases (regardless of their format) in order to document their scope and their potential gaps. You evaluate the possibilities to integrate them in the University of Antwerp database.
- You participate actively in writing academic publications.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master’s or Ph.D. degree in computer science. Candidates with other degrees are also encouraged to apply if they have clear computer skills.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- We encourage foreign candidates to apply.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Your English language skills are very good (both written and oral).
- You are able to draft research reports within strict deadlines.
- a contract for a period of for a period of two years, with a possibility of renewal for max. 1 year;
- the date of appointment: 1 April 2018;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging between € 3 272.69 and € 6 319.49, depending on degree and relevant experience (at the current index 1.6734);
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment and strict guidance by financial experts.
How to apply?
- Please send your application, accompanied by your CV and cover letter to email@example.com before the closing date 28 February 2018.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof Dr. Jan Annaert (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Frans Buelens (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp is a family-friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label 'HR Excellence in research'.