Bilateral research cooperation Vietnam
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs bilateral agreements with a number of countries for the funding of joint research projects. These projects go further than the traditional exchange projects, because personnel and consumables can also be financed.
One of the six selected countries is Vietnam. The FWO has reached an agreement with the "National Foundation for Science and Technology Development" (NAFOSTED) on the funding of fundamental research in the following areas:
- Mathematics, computer sciences and informatics
- Biological sciences
- Medical sciences
- Materials research
- Agricultural sciences
- Environmental science, ecology and earth sciences
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Joint research project with Vietnamese partner
- Period: 2 or 3 years
- FWO personnel and consumables: minimally € 45,000 and maximally €75,000 per year per project
- Deadline: call closed
- Announcement of results: November-December 2017
- Start of project: 1 January 2018
- Success rate 2015: 26%
Profile and conditions
- The collaboration with partners from Vietnam will have added value for your research.
- As a team of researchers, you need operation, equipment and staff grants.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of an applicable Flemish host institution (article 3 regulations research project)
- Your research project will be carried out under the direction of a supervisor, possibly in collaboration with one or more co-supervisors. (article 9 regulations research project).
- In the framework of this call with NAFOSTED, you can only act once as a principle investigator (supervisor) or co-investigator (co-supervisor).
- All material acquired thanks to an operation or equipment grant from the FWO, shall become property of the university.
- The receiving institution is employer of the staff remunerated in research projects.
- No remuneration or cumulation of a remuneration is allowed for (co-) supervisors in connection with a research project.
- Applications in the framework of this bilateral research cooperation with Vietnam do not count toward the calculation of the maximum number of projects per application round for which you may act as (co-)supervisor. In addition, supervisor-spokesman, who were awarded a project, do not need to skip an application round before being able to submit an application.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- Your joint fully integrated application is submitted simultaneously at FWO (by using the online application form in the FWO E-portal) and at NAFOSTED, according to their respective modalities.
- Each supervisor and co-supervisor of both the Flemish and Vietnamese research team must have online profile including an updated list of publications on the FWO E-portal.
- You propose 10 external referees in your application (in order to see who is eligible, please consult the regulations). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Vietnam. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Vietnamese partner(s).
- Your application is presented to a number of these reviewers for evaluation.
- A joint selection committee comprising experts designated by FWO and NAFOSTED makes a final ranking.
- The selection committee reports to the Board of Trustees of FWO and NAFOSTED. The Board of Trustees makes a decision on your award.
- Afterwards you will receive feedback on this decision.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project
- Guidelines for Applicants
These guidelines should help applicants in preparing their application
- Example application form
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.