The FWO aims to promote scientific collaboration with other countries through the exchange of researchers. To this end, the FWO has signed bilateral agreements with the following institutes and countries. The exact terms may vary per country. Additional information is available from the FWO administration.
- Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) - People's Republic of China
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) (Academia Sinica) - People's Republic of China
- Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) - People's Republic of China
- Romanian Academy - Romania
- Slovak Academy of Sciences - Slovakia
- Slovenian Science Foundation (SSF) - Slovenia
- Travel grant for a stay abroad
- Strictly personal grant
- Submission deadline: no later than 3 months before departure (unless otherwise stated)
- Announcement of results: via personal letter
Profile and conditions
- You are affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community (or to a university college of the corresponding association) or belong to the scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of a scientific institute.
- You have the nationality of one of the member states of the EEA or of Switzerland, or have obtained your degree in the EEA or Switzerland. If not, you must have held an appointment of at least 50% at a Flemish university for at least one year.
- You submit your application no later than 3 months before the start of the stay.
- You attach the invitation of the host institution.
- Your application is submitted to the Panel for International Scientific Contacts (CIWC).
- If you have not yet obtained a PhD, your supervisor or the head of the research unit will be asked for advice.
Regulations and downloads
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an exchange agreement
- Application form - DOC
- Application form - PDF
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.