Bilateral research cooperation Québec
The FWO wants to fully stimulate international cooperation, as leverage for excellence. This is why the FWO signs with bilateral agreements with a number of countries/regions to fund joint research projects. These projects go further than the traditional exchange projects, because personnel and consumables can also be financed on these projects.
One of the selected countries/regions is Québec. The FWO has reached an agreement with the research fund ‘Fonds de Recherche de Québec’ (FRQ) to finance interdisciplinary fundamental research projects covering research domains falling under at least two of the three Quebec Research Funds (FRQNT, FRQS or FRQSC).
In contrast to the regular research projects fundamental research no distinction is made between junior and senior research projects. In addition, it is not possible to use 10% of the budget requested at FWO for non-Flemish research institutions.
- Joint research project with partner from Québec. It must be an integrated research proposal with one central research question, methodology and elaboration.
- Period: 3 years
- FWO personnel and consumables: minimally € 45,000 and maximally €75,000 per year per project
- FWO equipment: maximally € 150.000 per project
- Deadline: 02 June 2020 (5PM Brussels time)
- Announcement of results: December 2020
- Start project: 1st of January 2021
Profile and conditions?
- The collaboration with partners from Québec will have an added value for the project.
- To promote interdisciplinarity, the proposal (research and composition bilateral team) must cover research domains falling under at least two of the three FRQ Research Funds (FRQNT, FRQS or FRQSC):
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and/or personnel grants. Your research will be carried out at an eligible Flemish main host institution, possibly in collaboration with other Flemish and/or federal research institutions (Article 7) and under the supervision of a supervisor-spokesperson, possible in collaboration with other (co-)supervisors (Article 10 - 12).
- In the framework of this call with FRQ, you can only act once as a supervisor or co-supervisor.
- All material acquired thanks to a bench fee or an equipment grant from the FWO, shall become property of the host institution.
- The host institution is employer of the staff remunerated in research projects.
- No remuneration or accumulation of a remuneration is allowed for (co-)supervisors under a research project funded by FWO.
- Applications in the framework of this cooperation are not part of the regular project competition and:
- do not count for the maximum of two projects per application round for which you may act as (co-)supervisor;
- are not taken into account for the maximum of two projects applied for and ongoing on the start date of the newly allocated project.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
How does the application process proceed?
- Carefully read the guidelines for applicants.
- You submit your joint application by using the online application form in the FWO E-Loket, before the deadline:
- The complete application, including budget for the Québec part of the application as well as a Canadian Common CV + declaration by the applicant for each Québec (co-)supervisor, must be submitted to FWO. There is no submission needed at FRQ.
- Each (co-)supervisor of both the Flemish and Québec research team must have online profile including an updated list of publications on the FWO E-portal.
- FWO and FRQ perform an eligibility check to verify if your applications meets all formal criteria of respectively FWO and FRQ.
- Your application is sent out for international peer review. For this call FWO will be in charge of this task.
- An ad hoc joint interdisciplinary selection committee composed of Flemish and Québec experts makes a final ranking.
- The Board of Trustees of the FWO and the FRQ take the final decision.
- Afterwards you will receive feedback on this decision.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
Specific supporting documents:
- List research discipline codes
Since 2019 the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) has been using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.
- Guide for applicants
- Scoring grid (scoring descriptors) used for international peer review
- Scoring grid (scoring descriptors) used by the joint selection committee
- Example application form