Bilateral research cooperation Vietnam
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs bilateral agreements with a number of countries to fund joint research projects. These projects go further than the traditional exchange projects, because personnel and consumables can also be financed.
One of the selected countries/regions is Vietnam. The FWO has reached an agreement with the "National Foundation for Science and Technology Development" (NAFOSTED) on the funding of fundamental research in all domains:
- Mathematics, computer sciences and informatics
- Biological sciences
- Medical sciences
- Materials research
- Agricultural sciences
- Environmental science, ecology and earth sciences
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
In contrast to the regular research projects fundamental research no distinction is made between junior and senior research projects. In addition, it is not possible to use 10% of the budget requested at FWO for non-Flemish research institutions.
- Joint research project with partner from Vietnam. It must be an integrated research proposal with one central research question, methodology and elaboration.
- Period: 2 or 3 years
- FWO personnel and consumables: minimally € 45,000 and maximally €75,000 per year per project
- FWO equipment: maximally € 150.000 per project
- The 2022 call for bilateral research projects with Vietnam is delayed. Once the new timing is clear we will provide you with an update.
Profile and conditions
- The collaboration with partners from Vietnam will have added value for your research.
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and/or personnel grants.
- Your research will be carried out at an eligible Flemish main host institution, possibly in collaboration with other Flemish and/or federal research institutions (Article 7) and under the supervision of a supervisor-spokesperson, possible in collaboration with other (co-)supervisors (Article 10 - 12).
- In the framework of this call with NAFOSTED, you can only act once as a supervisor or co-supervisor.
- All material acquired thanks to a bench fee or an equipment grant from the FWO, shall become property of the host institution.
- The host institution is employer of the staff remunerated in research projects.
- No remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration is allowed for (co-)supervisors under a research project funded by FWO.
- Applications in the framework of this cooperation are not part of the regular project competition and as a result:
- do not count for the maximum of two projects per application round for which you may act as (co-)supervisor;
- are not taken into account for the maximum of two projects applied for and ongoing on the start date of the newly allocated project.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- Carefully read the guidelines for applicants.
- Your joint fully integrated application is submitted simultaneously at FWO (by using the online application form in the FWO E-portal) and at NAFOSTED according to their modalities before the deadline.
- Each (co-)supervisor of both the Flemish and Vietnamese research team must have an online profile including an updated list of publications on the FWO E-portal.
- FWO and NAFOSTED perform an eligibility check to verify if your application meets all formal criteria of respectively FWO and NAFOSTED.
- FWO and NAFOSTED will send out the proposal submitted at respectively FWO and NAFOSTED out for international peer review according to the respective regulations for peer review.
- An ad hoc joint interdisciplinary selection committee composed of Flemish and Vietnamese experts makes a final ranking.
- The Board of Trustees of FWO and NAFOSTED take the final decision.
- Afterwards you will receive feedback on this decision.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
Specific supporting documents:
- List research discipline codes
Since 2019 the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) has been using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.
- Guide for applicants
- Scoring grid international peer review and joint selection committee (scoring descriptors)
- Example application form