Submission of a joint project proposal at another research funder than the FWO (FWO as Partner Agency)
In the framework of the Weave initiative, the FWO has a bilateral agreement with the following countries:
- SLOVENIA through ARRS (Slovenian Research Agency)
- LUXEMBOURG through FNR (National Research Fund)
- AUSTRIA through FWF (Austrian Science Fund)
- SWITZERLAND through SNSF (Swiss National Science Foundation)
In practice this means that researchers who are eligible at the FWO, can submit together with their foreign partner (eligible at one of the aforementioned research funders) a bilateral research project at the research funder for which the foreign partner is eligible. This funder will act as the Lead Agency and is thus responsible for the entire administrative procedure and scientific evaluation.
In addition – and if desired – it is possible to extend the project to a trilateral project because all aforementioned research funders have bilateral agreements as well with other Weave partners. As a consequence, these trilateral projects (combinations) are possible.
More details on the European collaborations that are currently possible within Weave, can be found on this interactive map.
Weave is not a new, separate funding programme. It makes use of existing funding channels for fundamental research (with the corresponding timelines and conditions) of the Weave partners. For more information on these channels, see the specific webpages of the following research funders with whom the FWO has a bilateral agreement:
- SLOVENIA through ARRS (Slovenian Research Agency) – Deadline ARRS: not yet known (Autumn 2021)
- LUXEMBOURG through FNR (National Research Fund) – Deadline FNR: 21 April 2021
- AUSTRIA through FWF (Austrian Science Fund) – Deadline FWF: 16 April 2021
- SWITZERLAND through SNSF (Swiss National Science Foundation) – Deadline SNSF: 1 April 2021 (deadline on 1 October 2021 at SNSF is not open for Swiss-Flemish projects)
More details on the timeline, conditions, procedure, … of each of these research funders, can also be found on this interactive map.
Profile and conditions
The modalities (e.g. budget) and eligibility criteria of the Flemish part follow the regulations of the junior/senior research projects for fundamental research. This means among other things:
- FWO staff and consumables: € 45,000 to € 130,000 per year, project partners may also request a budget in the amount of € 0 or € 20,000 per year.
- FWO equipment: maximum € 150,000 per project.
- Institutions involved (Article 7) and (co-)supervisor(s) (Article 10-12) have to comply with the conditions as described in the regulations junior/senior research projects for fundamental research. Within a Weave project it is however not possible to include a non-Flemish institution other than the involved foreign Weave partner(s) for maximally 10% of the total project funding.
Weave projects are taken into account for the maximum of 2 projects per application round for which you can act as a (co-)supervisor(-spokesperson). They also count for the regulation stating that the total number of research projects fundamental research – applied for and currently ongoing – in name of one and the same (co-)supervisor(-spokesperson) cannot be more than two on the starting date of the new granted project.
- The application needs to be entirely submitted according to the procedure (incl. deadline) that is in place at the relevant foreign research funder (Lead Agency).
- Please be aware: besides this submission:
- the Flemish supervisor-spokesperson needs to do an administrative submission to the FWO through the E-portal, by using the specific application form ‘Research project WEAVE (FWO acts as Partner Agency)’. This administrative submission needs to be done no later than 7 working days after the deadline of the foreign research funder (Lead Agency) to whom the entire research proposal was submitted. Independent of the deadline at the Lead Agency, administrative submissions at the FWO are no longer accepted after May 11th, 2021.
- Although some research funders with whom the FWO has a bilateral agreement in principle have a system of continuous submission, they have set a fixed deadline for Weave-projects in which a Flemish partner is involved:
- ARRS Slovenia: deadline not yet known (Autumn 2021)
- FNR Luxembourg: 21 April 2021
- FWF Austria: 16 April 2021
- SNSF Switzerland: 1 April 2021 (deadline on 1 October 2021 at SNSF is not open for Swiss-Flemish projects)
- each Flemish (co-)supervisor(-spokesperson) needs to have a profile on the E-portal including an updated overview of his/her functions/career.
- The FWO and the involved foreign research funder(s) check the eligibility of the application.
- The entire evaluation will be performed by the research funder to whom the research proposal was submitted (Lead Agency) according to its own principles. Positively evaluated proposals will be presented by the Lead Agency to the FWO and possible other involved research funders for ratification.
- The boards of trustees of all involved research funders do the final ratification. The FWO will pay for the Flemish part of the positively evaluated proposals, proposed by the Lead Agency.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding application to the FWO.
- Regulations Weave
The regulations for Weave projects will be integrated end-February 2021 in the Regulations of the Research Foundation – Flanders governing fundamental research projects.
- Overview possible Weave combinations for Flemish researchers
- Interactive Weave map
- Example application form offers a number of screenshots of the online application forms and the project template outline
- Weave success rate 2021
- Presentation infosession
In case of any further questions regarding Weave, mail to email@example.com