Cooperation with Brazil (State of São Paulo)
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs bilateral agreements with a number of countries for the funding of joint exchange projects. Within these projects only travel and living expenses can be financed.
One of the selected countries is Brazil (State of São Paulo). In March 2018 the FWO has signed an agreement with the São Paulo Science Foundation (FAPESP) on the funding of scientific collaboration in fundamental research in all scientific domains.
Attention: in Brazil only researchers are considered who are affiliated to a for FAPESP eligible research organization in the state of São Paulo.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Joint exchange projects with special attention to junior researchers: in each exchange project at Flemish side at least one junior scientist with no more than 6 years of postdoctoral experience should be engaged
- Funding: each party bears the full costs of its own researchers (travel, accommodation and living expenses).
- FWO pays researchers from Flanders a daily living allowance of € 66 per day (or max. € 1,650 per month) on top of the travel expenses towards/from Brazil, to be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO.
- FAPESP pays the researchers from Brazil a total amount of € 10,000 (ten thousand euros) per project per year to cover the travel expenses towards/from and the stay within Flanders
- Announcement of results: January 2020
- Start of project: April 2020
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community, or
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Carefully read the guidelines for applicants (see ‘Regulations and downloads).
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and FAPESP.
- At FWO you submit your application through firstname.lastname@example.org, using the application form mentioned below (see ‘Regulations and downloads’). Please be aware that it is essential to update your E-loket profile each time you submit a new FWO application.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (for more information on the eligibility criteria see Art 21.3 and 21.5 of the FWO regulations internal and external peer review). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Brazil. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Brazilian partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The Panel of International Scientific Contacts (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with the São Paulo Science Foundation (FAPESP).
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
Regulations and downloads
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.