Cooperation with France -TOURNESOL
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential mobility projects.
TOURNESOL is a scientific exchange programme supported by FWO and the Embassy of France in Brussels in which travel grants are allocated in the framework of selected scientific mobility projects. The goal of such TOURNESOL grants is to further sustain and expand the collaborations between Flanders and France.
Please be aware: The TOURNESOL programme focuses on junior researchers. As a consequence in this new call (2023) at Flemish side only researchers with maximally 12 years postdoctoral seniority can apply at FWO. In addition, at Flemish side, the exchanges can only be performed by predoctoral researchers or postdoctoral researchers with maximally 12 years postdoctoral seniority. At French side, priority will also be given to junior researchers. The scientific seniority of the French Principal Investigator and the exchanged researchers at French side will be taken into account in the evaluation process.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- All scientific disciplines are eligible
- The funding covers travel and accommodation expenses of junior researchers with a maximum of 2.000 euro per project per year (on Flemish side as well as on French side).
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: beginning December 2023
- Start of project (at Flemish as well as at French side): 1st of January 2024
Please note that consortia that were awarded funding in the previous call (submission: 2021 - start projects: 2022) can submit a new project, however, in case of ex aequo near the funding threshold, priority will be given to new consortia.
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD. Important: In addition, you have maximally 12 years of postdoctoral seniority (first PhD degree can be obtained maximally 12 years before the submission deadline (30/03/2023) of the project, to be counted from the date of obtaining the doctoral degree).
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- At Flemish side only predoctoral researchers or postdoctoral researchers (with maximally 12 years postdoctoral experience, i.e. first PhD degree can be obtained maximally 12 years before the submission deadline (30/03/2023) of the project, to be counted from the date of obtaining the doctoral degree) can make use of the funding to cover travel towards and accommodation expenses in France.
- Carefully read the Guide for Applicants (see ‘Regulations and downloads’ below).
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and Campus France according to the modalities of each agency.
- For FWO you submit your application to email@example.com by using the application form below (see ‘Regulations and downloads’). Please be aware that it is essential to update your FWO E-loket profile each time you submit a new FWO application.
- In a first phase, the eligible proposals will be evaluated separately at Flemish and at French side. At FWO the evaluation will be done by the CDP (Cross-Domain Panel).
- In a second phase, the final funding decision will be taken during a joint committee between FWO and Campus France. Proposals must have been evaluated positively on both the French and Flemish side in order to be fundable.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations apply for every submission at FWO.
- Agreement FWO and Embassy of France in Belgium
- NEW Guide for applicants – call 2023
This guide contains all conditions and procedures to apply for a project within the framework of the new TOURNESOL programme call 2023.
- Notification of a stay abroad
- International mobility projects – template for final reports
- Webpage Campus France regarding this TOURNESOL call 2023
- Guide for applicants – call 2022
This guide contains all details and procedures for the ongoing projects that were granted within the framework of the TOURNESOL call 2022.
Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.