Cooperation with Hungary
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential joint exchange projects.
To strengthen scientific collaboration between Hungary and Flanders, the FWO signed on the 19th of March, 2015 a cooperation agreement with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (HAS / MTA). This agreement aims to stimulate collaboration between Hungary and Flanders in the area of research and development in all scientific domains by conducting joint cooperation projects. The programme focuses mainly on the exchange of junior researchers.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Joint exchange projects with special attention to junior researchers: in each exchange project at Flemish side at least one junior scientist with no more than 6 years of postdoctoral experience should be engaged
- The funding covers travel and living expenses.
- Travel expenses to the host country, as far as the place of work, are covered by the sending country. The host country pays the living expenses.
- FWO pays researcher(s) from Hungary a daily living allowance of € 66 per day (or max. € 1650 per month) which can be used to cover the accommodation costs as well.
- HAS pays researcher(s) from Flanders the accommodation costs and in addition a daily living allowance of 6000 HUF per day.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: December 2019
- Start of project: 1st of January 2020
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community, or
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Carefully read the guidelines for applicants (see ‘Regulations and downloads).
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and HAS.
- At FWO you submit your application through firstname.lastname@example.org ,using the application form mentioned below (see ‘Regulations and downloads’). Please be aware that it is essential to update your E-loket profile each time you submit a new FWO application.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (For more information on the eligibility criteria see Art 21.3 and 21.5 of the FWO regulations internal and external peer review). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Hungary. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Hungarian partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The Panel of International Scientific Contacts (CIWC) evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to every submission at FWO.
- Advice, selection- and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with Hungary at FWO.
- Agreement FWO en HAS
Agreement between the FWO and its Hungarian partner HAS.
- Notification of a stay abroad
- International exchange projects - template for final reports
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a ttravel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.