Grant for a long stay abroad
The regulations can be consulted here.
This grant supports researchers who will be staying abroad for a longer period to perform advanced research or to specialize in specific research techniques. In this way, the FWO aims to encourage the mobility of researchers and the international contacts between research groups.
- Stay abroad of more than 1 month (> 31 days) and at most 12 months, without interruption.
- The grant covers:
- travel expenses Brussels – venue of long stay (return trip);
- a fixed allowance of € 66 per day or € 1,650.00 per month.
- Submission: online in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- Announcement of results: via e-mail.
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
- How to book your travel?
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.
Profile and conditions
- Throughout the entire period of your stay abroad, you receive a salary or scholarship with a minimum appointment of 50% from a university or university hospital in the Flemish Community or to a federal or Flemish scientific institute (see regulations for more detailed information).
- Attention: for applications with a departure date from the 1st of October 2016 onwards there is no longer a nationality requirement for predoctoral candidates. Nevertheless, as a PhD student you should have obtained a master degree in one of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland (see regulations for more detailed information). There are no degree or nationality requirements for candidates from postdoctoral level onwards.
- You have at least one peer-reviewed publication. Remark: in case you cannot comply with this requirement, you should clearly motivate this in the appropriate section in the online application form.
- Only one Grant for a long stay abroad can be allocated per person and per civil year. The total maximum duration of long stays is one year per term of three years.
- You submit your application in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date. You will immediately receive a confirmation by e-mail when the application has been submitted successfully. If this is not the case, you need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- You attach the invitation of the host institution abroad.
- Your application is submitted to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC).
- If you as a researcher are not part of the senior academic staff (ZAP), your supervisor or the head of your research unit will be asked for a recommendation letter. This recommendation letter of the head of the research unit is also required for researchers affiliated to a Flemish or federal scientific institution who do not hold a permanent statutory appointment. In case of belated submission of this recommendation letter, the application for a travel grant will be declared ineligible.
Please be aware that the International collaboration committee (CIWC) has no meeting in August.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for a ‘Grant a long stay abroad’
These regulations include all the conditions and procedures for a ‘Grant for a long stay abroad’ at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for a ‘Grant for a long stay abroad’ at FWO.
- Report form short and long stays abroad - DOC
- Report form short and long stays abroad - PDF
- Document financial report long stay abroad”
- Document verplaatsing wagen
The following forms are available via the e-loket:
- Application form.
- Notification of a stay abroad.