Grant for a long stay at an ERC Grantee abroad
Are you planning to submit an ERC grant application (starting, consolidator, or advanced) in the near future? Do you want to strengthen your ERC application by further sharpening your international research experience and by improving your research profile and vision? If so, it might be of interest to you to go abroad and conduct research in the excellent research environment of a former or current ERC Grantee (starting, consolidator of advanced).
The FWO offers ‘grants for a long stay at an ERC Grantee abroad’ to make this possible. This travel grant has a minimum and maximum duration of 1 month and 6 months respectively.
The idea behind this travel grant was proposed by the ERC. The mission of the ERC is to support groundbreaking research in all scientific disciplines. With respect to this, the ERC encourages national/regional governments, organizations, … to financially support future ERC applicants who want to perform a study visit to former and current ERC Grantees.
In Spring the ERC launched a call asking European governments, organizations, … to express their interest in setting up such a mobility scheme. The past years, the FWO signed up to this initiative each time. An overview of all interested partner organizations – among which the FWO – was spread among all current ERC Grantees. They were asked if they would be willing to welcome researcher supported by this research grant in their research group. The result of this survey is available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that current ERC grantees that or not on this list or former ERC grantees are also eligible.
- Stay abroad of minimum 1 – maximum 6 months.
- Destination: current or former ERC grant holder abroad.
An overview of interested ERC Grantees is available upon request (email@example.com). Please note that former and current ERC grant holders that are not on this list are also eligible.
- The grant covers:
- Travel expenses Brussels – venue of long stay (return trip);
- A fixed allowance of € 66 per day or € 1.650 per month.
- Submission: in English via firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- Announcement of results: via personal letter.
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
- How to book your travel?
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.
Profile and conditions
- You hold a Ph.D.
- Throughout the entire period of your stay abroad, you hold an appointment of minimum 50% to a university or university hospital in the Flemish Community or to a federal or Flemish scientific institute (see regulations for more detailed information).
- You are obliged to submit an ERC application (starting, consolidator, or advanced) within the two ERC-calls after your return and you should inform the FWO about this submission via e-mail (email@example.com).
- You submit your application in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date, using the application form below (via firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- You should attach to your application form the following documents:
- An outline of your future ERC application;
- Your short CV (please see obligatory template under ‘Regulations and downloads’);
- An invitation (Letter of Intent) of the foreign host institution.
- A recommendation letter (Letter of Support) of the foreign researcher who will be hosting you.
- Your application is submitted to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC). Consult this time schedule to see when your application will be evaluated and when the result will be communicated.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for a ‘Grant for a long stay at an ERC Grantee abroad’ at FWO.
Please be aware that the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC) has no meeting in August
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding application at FWO.
- Regulations for a ‘Grant for a long stay at an ERC Grantee abroad’
These regulations include all the conditions and procedures for a ‘Grant for a long stay at an ERC Grantee abroad’ at FWO.
- Application form
- Scientific report template long stay at an ERC Grantee abroad
- Declaration car journey template
- Financial report template long stay at an ERC Grantee abroad
- Short cv