Grant for a short study visit abroad
The regulations can be consulted here.
This grant supports researchers who wish to spend a short period abroad to further specialize in their research field or to undertake knowledge-gathering assignments. In this way, the FWO aims to encourage mobility and international contacts between research groups.
Thanks to this grant, young researchers get the opportunity to specialize in their area of interest. Senior researchers are given the opportunity to undertake scientific assignments and deepen their scientific expertise abroad.
- Stay abroad of at most 1 month (31 days).
- The grant covers:
- travel expenses Brussels – venue of short study visit (return trip);
- a fixed allowance of € 66, with a maximum of €1.650, per day for stays with a duration of more than 7 days.
- Submission: online in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- Announcement of results: via e-mail.
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
- How to book your travel?
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.
Profile and conditions
- Throughout the entire period of your stay abroad, you are affiliated to a university or university hospital in the Flemish Community or to a federal or Flemish scientific institute (see regulations for more detailed information).
- Attention: for applications with a departure date from the 1st of October 2016 onwards there is no longer a nationality requirement for predoctoral candidates. Nevertheless, as a PhD student you should have obtained a master degree in one of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland (see regulations for more detailed information). There are no degree or nationality requirements for candidates from postdoctoral level onwards.
- You have at least one peer-reviewed publication. Remark: in case you cannot comply with this requirement, you should clearly motivate this in the appropriate section in the online application form.
- In case you already receive a bench fee within a granted mandate or fellowship, you cannot apply for a travel grant for a conference, short study visit or participation in a workshop/course in one of the member states of the EEA or Switzerland, since this bench fee can be used for these purposes.
- For short study visits, workshops/courses and conferences, a maximum of two grants per person and per civil year can be awarded.
- You submit your application in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date. You will immediately receive a confirmation by e-mail when the application has been submitted successfully. If this is not the case, you need to contact email@example.com
- You attach the invitation of the host institution abroad.
- Your application is submitted to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC).
- If you as a researcher are not part of the senior academic staff (ZAP), your supervisor or the head of your research unit will be asked for a recommendation letter. This recommendation letter of the head of the research unit is also required for researchers affiliated to a Flemish or federal scientific institution who do not hold a permanent statutory appointment. In case of belated submission of this recommendation letter, the application for a travel grant will be declared ineligible.
Please be aware that the International collaboration committee (CIWC) has no meeting in August.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for a ‘Grant for a short study visit abroad’
These regulations include all the conditions and procedures for a ‘Grant for a short study visit abroad’ at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for a ‘Grant for a short study visit abroad’ at FWO.
- Report form short and long stays abroad - DOC
- Report form short and long stays abroad - PDF
- Examples of reasons for a short study visit abroad
- Document financial report short stay abroad
- Document verplaatsing wagen
The following forms are available on the FWO e-portal:
- Application form.
- Notification of a stay abroad.