Grant for participation in a conference abroad
The FWO encourages mobility among researchers and international contacts between research groups. This grant supports researchers who wish to actively participate in an international scientific conference abroad. The grants are awarded only for active participation (presentation or poster) in conferences of a purely scientific nature, featuring speeches and discussions of original contributions or reports.
- The grant covers the travel expenses Brussels – conference venue (return trip).
- Submission: online in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date.
- Announcement of results: via e-mail.
- Success rate 2020: 59%
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can onlybe booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
- How to book your travel?
- Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.
Profile and conditions
- Throughout the entire period of your stay abroad, you are affiliated to a university or university hospital in the Flemish Community or to a federal or Flemish scientific institute (see regulations for more detailed information).
- Attention: for applications with a departure date from the 1stof October 2016 onwards there is no longer a nationality requirement for predoctoral candidates. Nevertheless, as a PhD student you should have obtained a master degree in one of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland* (see regulations for more detailed information). There are no degree or nationality requirements for candidates from postdoctoral level onwards.
*You can have your certificate, awarded outside EEA and Switzerland, recognized by NARIC, as being on the level of a Flemish master degree. This also applies to diplomas awarded in the UK.
- For participation in a conference in one of the member states of the EEA or in Switzerland or in the United Kingdom, you need to have at least one peer-reviewed publication. For participation in a conference outside Europe (i.e. other countries than the ones mentioned in the previous sentence), you should preferably already have three or more accepted peer-reviewed publications.
- You give a presentation (poster or oral) at the conference.
- In case you already receive a bench fee within a granted mandate or fellowship, you cannot apply for a travel grant for a conference, short study visit or participation in a workshop/course in one of the member states of the EEA or Switzerland or the United Kingdom, since this bench fee can be used for these purposes.
- For short study visits, workshops/courses, and conferences, a maximum of two grants per person and per civil year can be awarded.
- You submit your application in English no later than 3 months prior to the departure date. You will immediately receive a confirmation by e-mail when the application has been submitted successfully. If this is not the case, you need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- You attach the official proof of acceptance of your presentation (poster or oral communication). If this official acceptance is not yet available 3 months before the departure date, you can provide FWO with the documents afterwards.
- Your application is submitted to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC). Consult this time schedule to see when your application will be evaluated and when the result will be communicated.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for a ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’ at FWO.
- A letter of recommendation from your supervisor/head of research unit is no longer requested.
Please be aware that the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC) has no meeting in August
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO.
- Regulations for a ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’
These regulations include all the conditions and procedures for a ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’ at FWO.
- Scientific Report template ‘Grant for participation in a conference abroad’
- Document car journey declaration
The following forms are available: