Postdoctoral Fellowship Japan
The FWO wants to optimally promote international collaboration, as a lever for excellence. To this end, the FWO has signed a collaboration agreement with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). Please be aware that under this agreement, JSPS offers within this call 1 postdoctoral fellowship for researchers from Flanders.
This programme supports junior and excellent postdoctoral researchers who wish to carry out scientific research at a Japanese institute recognized by JSPS, for a specified period of time. The programme is open to the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
- For research at a Japanese institute recognized by JSPS (see document guidelines below for more information)
- 1 postdoctoral fellowship per year available
- Amount: These grants cover travel expenses (return trip), a settling-in allowance of 200,000 Yen (approx. € 1,600) and a fixed monthly allowance of 362,000 Yen (approx. € 3,000). In addition, the beneficiary receives travel accident and sickness insurance coverage.
- Period: minimum 12 and maximum 24 (full) months
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: via personal letter
- Start Fellowship in Japan: after approval by JSPS and before 30 November 2022
Profile and conditions
- You already are a postdoctoral researcher and you have obtained your doctoral degree at a Flemish scientific institution within six years of the date the fellowship goes into effect (on or after April 2nd) or you will obtain your doctoral degree at a Flemish scientific institution before start of the JSPS fellowship.
- You have not previously received a postdoctoral JSPS fellowship.
- Please be aware that researchers who are Japanese citizen and foreigners who are permitted permanent residence in Japan are not eligible.
- You fill in the application form (in English) that you can download on this page (see below) and return it before the deadline to email@example.com as well as a copy of your PhD degree diploma. (If the degree diploma has not yet been awarded, a letter is required from your institution stating the date that you will officially receive the degree.)
- Remark: The submitted application form will only be used for processing your candidature and FWO will confidentially handle the personal data mentioned in the application form. The received personal data will not be transferred to any third party, with exception of JSPS who will possibly need it to further assess the application. The FWO will take the necessary measures to make sure this data transfer will be done in a secure and correct way.
The FWO will communicate about successful applicants through its news channels.
- You attach a research plan in the application form (see point 18), prepared in consultation with the Japanese researcher with whom you will be staying.
- You attach an approval of acceptance of the Japanese supervisors(s), signed by the host himself/herself, that states that the programme will be executed during the intended period.
- The advice (letter of reference/recommendation) of your supervisor or the head of the research unit should be attached to your application.
- Your application is presented in May 2022 to the International Collaboration Committee (CIWC). They nominate maximum 1 candidate.
- JSPS informs both the FWO and the candidate of its final decision within three months.
Regulations and downloads
- Guidelines JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2022 Guidelines for the applicants of a JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowships (call 2022).
- List of host institutions
Here you can find a list of eligible host institutions within the framework of a JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for foreign researchers.
- Example letter of invitation/acceptance by the Japanese promotor(s)