Doctoral (PhD) grant strategic basic research (SB)
A Doctoral (PhD) Grant Strategic Basic Research allows young researchers to develop into strategically thinking and innovation-oriented scientists.
Strategic basic research in the context of a PhD grant stands for challenging and innovative research (at PhD level), which, if successful, may in the longer term lead to innovative applications with economic added value (for specific companies, for a collective of companies, or a sector, or in line with the VRWI transition areas.
- Period: 2 years, renewable once
- Net scholarship amount: minimum € 2.015,51
- Fixed bench fee: €3,720 per year
- Call closed
- The call 2018 will open around 15 June 2018 (this will be the last call for this type of fellowsship. It will be replaced by PhD fellowship strategic basic research of which the first call opens in December 2018)
- Announcement of results: December 12, 2018
- Start of fellowship: January 1, 2019
- Success rate 2017: 29%
Profile and conditions
- You have a master degree from one of the countries of the EU, the EER or Switzerland.
- You have obtained this degree with at least ‘distinction’ (cum laude), and no longer than 5 years ago.
- You have not previously received this fellowship (not even in part).
- At the beginning of the fellowship (January 1st following the call, you have no more than 18 months of scientific experience.
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
Full details can be found in the Regulations Doctoral (PhD) grants strategic basic research
As of the application year 2019, the master's degree may not have been obtained more than three years before the deadline (1 March) and the condition of at least 'distinction' will lapse.
Transitional measure: in application year 2019, applications can still be made under the old seniority rules if it is not the first application and the candidate has not yet exhausted the number of applications allowed under the old regulations.
Infosessions call 2018
The FWO is presenting the call 2018 at the end of June / beginning of July at the 5 Flemish universities.
The presentation for the call 2018 is available here.
Agenda (for more details, see the university)
28 juni UAntwerpen
2 juli KU Leuven
3 juli UGent
4 juli UHasselt
5 juli VUB
Submission and selection procedure
- Detailed information on the procedure can be found here.
- In a nutshell:
- You submit your application online (e-portal)
- Your application is screened on eligibility (completeness and admission critria).
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a recommendation
- You will be invited to defend your application to an international SB expert panel (between Nov. 6 and Dec. 7).
- Overview Experts SB panels
- The selection is based on the marks (3 criteria: ‘candidate’, ‘project’ and ‘application potential’) given by the panels.
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment on December 12th.
- You receive feedback on the decision.
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to all funding provided by the FWO.
- Regulations for SB fellowships
These regulations apply to the application for and awarding of SB fellowships by the FWO.
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information about the bench fees for PhD and Postdoctoral Researchers of the FWO. These regulations also apply to new FWO SB fellows.
- Regulations internal and external peer review
These regulations describe how the SB expert panels should be composed, the conduct code, as well as the scoring and selection approach.
Documents and additional information for applicants SB (call 2018)
- Please contact SB@fwo.be for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
- Application, evaluation and selection procedure guides you through the subsequent steps, from filling in the application to the final selection.
- Guide for applicants
This guide provides all practical information to prepare your application via the e-portal
- Example application form SB offers a number of screenshots of the online application forms and the project template outline
Specific supporting documents
- List of SB research themes and topics (as a basis to assign candidates to expert panels)
- Disciplinecodes (PDF)
- VRWI 2025 priorities
- Presentation info sessions
Evaluation supporting documents
- Scoring grid (calibration framework for scoring assignment)
- Guidelines interview (English only)
- Overview Experts SB panels
Documents and additional information for current FWO SB fellows
- Practical information for SB fellows is available in the FAQ section: .
- The presentation of the info session (Jan. 2017) for new SB fellows is available here.
The following forms are available via the e-portal and completed forms can also be uploaded there:
- Application for bicycle allowance
- Cumulation request
- Restrictions of assignments
- Notice of stay abroad
- Notice of assignments
Additional information for SB fellows, started in 2015 (IWT) and earlier
These apply to the SB fellows who started before January 1, 2016. Since January 1, 2016, these grants have been managed by the Flanders Innovation and Entrepreneurship, into which the former IWT has been merged.
Additional information and documents should be obtained via https://www.vlaio.be/nl/andere-doelgroepen/stragische-onderzoeksbeurzen/vervolgstappen.