Regulations National Belgian Fellowships L'Oréal-UNESCO "For Women in Science"
L'Oreal Belgilux, the Belgian Regional Commissions for UNESCO, the F.R.S.-FNRS (National Fund for Scientific Research) and the FWO (Research Foundation - Flanders) have implemented a Program of National Fellowships in Belgium under the framework of the “L'Oreal – UNESCO for Women and Science” international partnership.
- Three PhD fellowships are granted every two years to women scientists in biomedical sciences or science and technology. These fellowships enable fellows to complete their PhD at a Belgian university.
- The fellowships are spread over a term of two years, supplemented by the FWO or the F.R.S.-FNRS for a total duration of four years. They are subject to the same conditions as the PhD fellowships of FWO and F.R.S. - FNRS.
- The fellowships are awarded at a public ceremony.
- Candidates are selected from the ranked applications received under the regular rounds for applications for FWO or F.R.S.-FNRS fellowships.
- The application file for a fellowship at the FWO or the F.R.S. FNRS also serves as basis for the evaluation for the L’Oreal fellowships.
Evaluation of candidatures
- The FWO and the F.R.S.-FNRS recommend minimum 5 and maximum 10 candidates to the chair of the national jury, from the list of fellowship applications ranked for funding, following the regular peer review process at the FWO or F.R.S.-FNRS.
- Nominees are first asked to give their approval for participation in the national selection of the L'Oreal-UNESCO For Women in Science fellowships.
- The national jury deliberates on the selection of the beneficiaries after the evaluation round for fellowships at the FWO or F.R.S.-FNRS.
Conditions for granting the fellowships
- The object of the fellowships is to financially support scholarship students to conduct promising scientific research, as set out in the application, in order for them to obtain their PhD.
- Candidates should meet all requirements for PhD fellowship candidates for FWO and F.R.S. – FNRS in addition to the specific provisions of these regulations.
- The beneficiaries agree to conduct their scientific research at a university in the Flemish or French Community of Belgium during the two years for which the fellowship is granted, in accordance with the submitted project.
- The beneficiaries agree to observe the FWO or the F.R.S. – FNRS regulations for PhD fellowships. They will have the fiscal and social benefits that are inherent in PhD fellowships of the FWO or the F.R.S. – FNR.
- The beneficiaries agree to mention the L'Oréal-UNESCO fellowship, the FWO or the F.R.S.-FNRS in any publication that may result from the research.
- The fellowships are paid out to the beneficiaries by the FWO and the F.R.S. – FNRS at the end of each month.
- The scholarship students agree to be photographed, filmed and interviewed in the scope of Communication on the For Women and Science program. These photos, videos and texts will be used in written and audiovisual publications for, amongst others, the written press, television, internet, and brochures to be published in the Belgian and international media.
- The candidates who are granted a fellowship give the UNESCO and L’Oréal their explicit permission to use their photo, name, honours and titles on an international level for the entire duration of the rights specified. Such permission is strictly limited to non-commercial purposes that are directly connected with the For Women and Science program.