Senior Clinical Investigator
The Senior Clinical Investigator Fellowship supports well educated doctors and researchers who want to pursue a full-fledged career in translational research. The beneficiaries are released from clinical duties in order to focus on their research. Translational research bridges the gap between fundamental biomedical research, which is vital to any progress, and clinical research, which is focussed on the patient.
- Period: 5-year part-time research, twice renewable.
- The fellowship grant is is intended to exempt the fellow half-time from clinical duties and the replacement so that he / she can conduct research. The amount linked to the mandate, with a maximum of € 60,000 (*) per year, is intended to finance the replacement for these clinical tasks.
(*) from 2020 for the new first mandates and from 2021 for the new renewals
- For a general practitioner, the grant equals the salary of a part-time lecturer at the relevant university (taking account of seniority), with a maximum of €60,000 per year.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: June 2020
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2020
- Success rate 2019: 40 %
Profile and conditions
- You are a medical specialist, general practitioner or pharmacist specialist in clinical biology and have a full-time clinical role at a university hospital.
- You hold a PhD.
- You are employed at an academic hospital affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community.
- As general practitioner, you are employed at a Flemish university department of general practitioner medicine throughout the duration of the fellowship.
- You have an employment contract of indefinite duration.
- You spend at least 80% of your time on purely clinical activities.
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- You agree with the Research Integrity
- The head of the research unit writes a recommendation letter.
- The director of the clinic, the head of department (clinic) and the dean of the faculty commit themselves in writing for the effective replacement of the mandate holder.
- You complete your application online
- The Clinical Fellowships jury evaluates your application.
- The jury compiles a final ranking.
- The Board of Trustees endorses your appointment.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Senior Clinical Investigator
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Senior Clinical Investigator
- Internal and external peer review
These regulations lay down the conditions of the evaluation and award procedure for the research support programmes managed by the FWO. The composition of the panels for the FWO fellowships will be published early 2019.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO Senior Clinical Investigator
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
Specific supporting documents
- List research discipline codes
Since 2019 the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) has been using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.
- Application form (screen shots)