Senior Clinical Investigator
The Senior Clinical Investigator Fellowship supports well educated doctors and researchers who want to pursue a full-fledged career in translational research. The beneficiaries are released from clinical duties in order to focus on their research. Translational research bridges the gap between fundamental biomedical research, which is vital to any progress, and clinical research, which is focussed on the patient.
- Period: 5-year part-time research, twice renewable
- The fellowship grant is intended to exempt the fellow half-time from clinical duties and the replacement so that he / she can conduct research. The amount linked to the fellowship, with a maximum of € 60,000 (*) per year, is intended to finance the replacement for these clinical tasks.
(*) from 2020 for the new first fellowships and from 2021 for the new renewals
- For a general practitioner, the grant equals the salary of a part-time lecturer at the relevant university (taking account of seniority), with a maximum of €60,000 per year.
- In addition to the EUR 60,000 per year, during the first term of the Senior Clinical Investigator Fellowship, an amount of maximum EUR 100,000 (covering the full 5-year period) or EUR 20,000 per year will be paid for as compensation for other costs (operation, equipment, etc.) associated with the fellowship.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: July 1, 2021
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2021
- Success rate 2020: 31 % (new fellowships)
- Please note when applying for a renewal of the fellowship:
- Renewals will from now on be granted more selectively (approx. 85% success rate instead of 100%) and must meet minimum quality requirements.
- A report of the past 4.5 years must be attached to the application and will be assessed by the panel.
Profile and conditions
- You are a medical specialist, general practitioner or pharmacist specialist in clinical biology and have a clinical role at a university hospital.
- You hold a PhD (achieved max. 20 years ago).
- You are employed at an academic hospital affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community.
- As general practitioner, you are employed at a Flemish university department of general practitioner medicine throughout the duration of the fellowship.
- You have an employment contract of indefinite duration.
- You spend at least 80% of your time on purely clinical activities.
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- You agree with the Research Integrity.
- The director of the clinic, the head of department (clinic) and the dean of the faculty commit themselves in writing for the effective replacement of the mandate holder.
- You complete your application online.
- The Clinical Fellowships jury evaluates your application.
- The Clinical Fellowships jury compiles a final ranking.
- The Board of Trustees endorses your appointment.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Senior Clinical Investigator
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Senior Clinical Investigator
- Internal and external peer review
These regulations lay down the conditions of the evaluation and award procedure for the research support programmes managed by the FWO. The composition of the panels for the FWO fellowships will be published early 2019.
- In the score grids below, you can find decriptions of the possible scores for each evaluation criterion. The jury will use these score grids in the evaluation of your application.
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
Specific supporting documents
- List research discipline codes
Since 2019 the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) has been using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.
- Application form - new fellowship (screen shots)
- Application form - fellowship renewal (screen shots)