From 2019 it will no longer be possible to apply for a Research Grant, so no call for Research Grants will be opened in 2018. For FWO postdoctoral researchers, it will be replaced by a flexible bench fee, which will make it possible to apply for extra research resources together with the application for the research fellowship.
In 2019, a limited call will open for FWO-postdocs who started their fellowship on 1 October 2017 or 1 October 2018.
The research grant supports young and/or established researchers with an individual research expense grant.
- Period: 1 year
- Research and/or equipment expenses: minimum €2,500 - maximum €40,000
- Limited call open
- Deadline: 1 April 2019 (5pm)
- Announcement of results: december 2019
- Start ofResearch grant: 1 January 2020
Profile and conditions
- You are a FWO-postdoc who started the fellowship on 1 October 2017 or 1 October 2018.
- You are a FWO-postdoc with a fellowship that will end on September 30, 2020 or 2021 because of an administrative prolongation.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- The head of the research unit writes a recommendation letter.
- Your application is submitted to the FWO Expertpanels.
- The Expertpanels report to the board of trustees.
- The board of trustees decides on your appointment.
The correct Expertpanel
The FWO has the projects evaluated by 30 discipline-specific expert panels and one interdisciplinary panel. The applicant is solely responsible for the choice of the expert panel that will evaluate his/her application. You will find the scopes that have been defined here.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research Grant
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Grant
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
- Example application form offers a number of screenshots of the online application forms and the project template outline
Specific supporting documents
- Research discipline codes
Starting with the current call for the 2019 fellowships the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) will be using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This new list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.