At the moment the grant for a sabbatical leave is being reformed. As a result, it is currently not possible to submit such an application. An optimized version of this program will be launched on the 6th of January 2020. Within this new program FWO will no longer evaluate the necessity of a sabbatical leave and the costs to replace the applicant during his/her sabbatical leave will no longer be eligible. Instead the grant for a sabbatical leave will consist of a ‘sabbatical bench fee’ which the applicant can make use of during his/her sabbatical to finance research related (e.g. travel and accommodation costs) activities. Only candidates for which the host institution engages itself to discharge the applicant from educational and administrative duties will be eligible for this type of bench fee.
The grant for a sabbatical leave supports researchers, affiliated to one of the eligible host institutions in the Flemish Community (see regulations Article 1), by offering them the opportunity to dedicate 3 months to 1 year entirely to their scientific research. This funding allows them to be released from their teaching duties during this period.
- Grant amount: 2,500 EUR/month.
- The allowance is paid to the host institution and can be used to provide for a replacement for the applicant or to support his/her research.
- Submission deadlines: until the 1st of April inclusive (5:00 PM) and until the 1st of October inclusive (5:00 PM)
- Announcement of results: via the head of the host institution and via a personal letter to the applicant
Profile and conditions
- At the start of the grant for a sabbatical leave, you fulfill at least one of the following requirements:
- you hold a ZAP‐ position of at least 80% at a Flemish university, or
- you are appointed for at least 80% as a ZAP-member to the Evangelical Protestant Faculty in Leuven or to the Faculty for Protestant Theology in Brussels, or
- you are appointed for at least 80% as an (associated) professor or (full) professor (or positions with equivalent English titles) with PhD to
- the Hogere Zeevaartschool, or to
- the Vlerick Management School, or to
- the Antwerp Management School, or to
- the Institute of Tropical Medicine, or
- you hold a salaried ZAP-position of 5% at a Flemish university ánd you are clinical head or deputy-clinical head or you hold an equivalent position in a university hospital.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- You must submit your application to the head of your host institution in due time. (Please note: for submissions after the 1st of April 2017 the new application form needs to be used.)
- The head of your host institution forwards the application to the FWO at least 3 months before the start of the sabbatical leave, prior to the submission deadline: the 1st of April (5:00 PM) or the 1st of October (5:00 PM).
- Your application is submitted to the Panel for International Scientific Contacts (CIWC).
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations Sabbatical leave
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for a Sabbatical leave
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for a Sabbatical leave
- Final report sabbatical leave (DOC)
- Final report sabbatical leave (PDF)