The grant for a sabbatical leave supports researchers, affiliated to one of the eligible host institutions in the Flemish Community (see regulations Article 1), by offering them the opportunity to dedicate 3 months to 1 year entirely to their scientific research. This funding allows them to be released from their teaching duties during this period.
- Grant amount: 2,500 EUR/month.
- The allowance is paid to the host institution and can be used to provide for a replacement for the applicant or to support his/her research.
- Submission deadlines: until the 1st of April inclusive (5:00 PM) and until the 1st of October inclusive (5:00 PM)
- Announcement of results: via the head of the host institution and via a personal letter to the applicant
Profile and conditions
- At the start of the grant for a sabbatical leave, you fulfill at least one of the following requirements:
- you hold a ZAP‐ position of at least 80% at a Flemish university, or
- you are appointed for at least 80% as a ZAP-member to the Evangelical Protestant Faculty in Leuven or to the Faculty for Protestant Theology in Brussels, or
- you are appointed for at least 80% as an (associated) professor or (full) professor (or positions with equivalent English titles) with PhD to
- the Hogere Zeevaartschool, or to
- the Vlerick Management School, or to
- the Antwerp Management School, or to
- the Institute of Tropical Medicine, or
- you hold a salaried ZAP-position of 5% at a Flemish university ánd you are clinical head or deputy-clinical head or you hold an equivalent position in a university hospital.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- You must submit your application to the head of your host institution in due time. (Please note: for submissions after the 1st of April 2017 the new application form needs to be used.)
- The head of your host institution forwards the application to the FWO at least 3 months before the start of the sabbatical leave, prior to the submission deadline: the 1st of April (5:00 PM) or the 1st of October (5:00 PM).
- Your application is submitted to the Panel for International Scientific Contacts (CIWC).
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations Sabbatical leave
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for a Sabbatical leave
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for a Sabbatical leave
- Final report sabbatical leave (DOC)
- Final report sabbatical leave (PDF)