The European Research Council (ERC) aims at supporting high quality frontier research in Europe through an open competition between the very best, creative researchers.
Being aware of the high number of excellent proposals ERC receives that remain unfunded due to budgetary constraints, FWO provides alternative funding to the five best of the unsuccessful ERC applicants.
- Period: 4 years, not renewable
- Only one application for a runner-up project can be submitted per type of ERC grant
- Staff and consumables: 1 scientific staff member for 4 years and € 10,000 consumables per year (€ 70,000 in total).
- Deadline: 2 November 2020 at 5 p.m.
- Announcement of results: end of November / beginning of December 2020
- Start of project: 1 February 2021
Profile and conditions
- You must hold at least one of the appointments or research fellowships mentioned in article 10 of the regulations
- Your research will be carried out at an eligible Flemish main host institution referred to in § 2 of article 7.
- You have reached the end of step 2 of the evaluation process of the ERC Starting Grant 2020 call and have received an 'A' score, but have not received European funding due to budgetary constraints.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
How does the application, evaluation and selection process work?
- The ERCEA sends a notification to the candidates and informs the FWO.
- The FWO invites the candidates (not foreseen before early September 2020) to submit an application for an FWO Runner-up project. If the candidate declines the offer, the next candidate on the ranking list, determined according to the ERCEA evaluation procedure, will be invited.
- If the candidate does not yet have an e-portal account yet, (s)he must register in the e-portal: https://www.fwo-eloket.be/FWO.ELoket.WebUI/Registratie/Registratie.aspx
- The FWO-application must include:
- full ERC-Starting Grants proposal (Part A, Part B1 and Part B2),
- the ERCEA Evaluation Summary Report,
- the application form with a description (maximum 2 pages) of the research that you wish to carry out with the FWO funding.
- The board of trustees of November 2020 assesses and grants the submitted applications.
- The ERC Starting Grant (European) ranking is followed, so the FWO does not conduct anymore an internal and external peer review.
- If the applications on the ranking list are in the end picked up by the European Commission, no other application will be funded by the FWO.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
- Regulations of the Research Foundation – Flanders governing fundamental research projects
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and specific questions.
In case of technical problems with the e-window and the application modules, you can contact the IT helpdesk at FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be