Research project Kom op tegen Kanker
In the context of the ‘Kom op tegen Kanker’ campaign, the FWO awards every year €800,000 to support a patient oriented research project in a specific theme. The theme for this call is 'Innovative treatments for cancers with limited treatment options.’ With this call for projects, we want to encourage research that improves the quality of life of cancer patients before, during and after their treatments.
- Yearly call
- Period: 2 year
- Staff and bench fee: minimum €45,000 - maximum €130,000
- Additional equipment / matching funding: maximum €150,000
- Theme: Innovative treatments for cancers with limited treatment options.
- NOTE: the humanitarian research projects such as these in the scope of Kom op tegen Kanker, differ in some substantial aspects from the regular research projects of FWO; e.g.:
- These projects will NOT distinguish between a junior or a senior project type;
- These projects will NOT be taken into account for calculating the maximum of 2 projects for which one can be (co)-supverisor at a given time.
- A specific panel of scientific experts composed by FWO will evaluate your application; it is not necessary to choose a panel yourself from the regular FWO expert panels.
- Next to the online application in the e-portal a specific form (Word-template) has to be submitted which will be evaluated by Kom op tegen Kanker's patient committee. This committee will give a non-binding advice to the FWO expert panel on the criteria set forth in this form (see below).
- CALL OPENS ON JANUARY 14, 2019
- The online form will be available on February 1, 2019.
- Deadline: April 1, 2019 (5pm)
- Announcement of results: December 2019
- Start of project: January 1, 2020
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants.
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of an applicable Flemish host institution, but a non-Flemish partner may participate for 10 percent of the budget
- All material acquired with a grant for consumables/equipment of the FWO shall become the property of the university.
- The host institution is the employer of staff remunerated on research projects.
- Supervisors and co-supervisors are not allowed any remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration on a research project.
- The real cost is used when the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) already known. When the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) not yet known, indicative amounts may be used.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- You submit your proposal online (online form will be available from Feburary 1, 2019 onwards).
- For the research projects in the context of Kom op tegen Kanker, patients (or patient representatives) will have an advisory role in the evaluation of the applications. Ths procedure is aligned with the internal procedure adopted by Kom op tegen Kanker for its own research projects. For this stage of the evaluation applicants are required to explain the (envisaged) relevance and short-term impact of their project in a way that is understandable to non-experts. An extra form will be added to the application (see below, ‘Downloads’); this form will be read by the existing patients committee of Kom op tegen Kanker to evaluate the submitted projects. This patients committee will only address the afore mentioned aspects of the project, i.e. the relevance and short-term impact for patients, and they will formulate a non-binding advice for the FWO’s scientific expert panel.
- Your application is submitted to a number of external referees for evaluation.
- You can react on the comments of the external referees.
- The panel reports to the board of trustees.
- The board of trustees takes the final decision.
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects (valid from call 2019)
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project.
- Form for the patients committe of Kom op tegen Kanker
Please download this Word form and fill in the fields according to the specifications as mentioned in the form. The form, correctly filled in in Dutch and written so as to be understandable to a non-expert audience, has to be sent to the email email@example.com before the deadline of April 1, 2019 at 5 PM. The application is complete only if both the e-loket AND this Word form are completed and submitted to FWO!