Research project Kom op tegen Kanker
In the context of the ‘Kom op tegen Kanker’ campaign, the FWO has a yearly budget of €800,000 available (overhead included), to support patient-oriented research projects with a specific scope. For the 2021 call, the scope is: “Research aimed at improving the diagnosis and the first steps in the treatment of cancer, e.g. optimizing medical imaging, biopsies etc.”
- Yearly call
- Period: 2 year
- Staff and consumables: €45,000 to €130,000 per year, project partners may request a budget in the amount of € 0 or € 20.000 per year.
- Equipment: maximum €150,000 per project.
- The home institution receives overhead costs of 6% of the total budget.
- 2% on the staff costs can be included in the personnel budgets for the personnel administration in the application.
- Theme: “Research aimed at improving the diagnosis and the first steps in the treatment of cancer, e.g. optimizing medical imaging, biopsies etc.”
- NOTE: the humanitarian research projects such as these in the scope of Kom op tegen Kanker, differ in some substantial aspects from the regular research projects of FWO; e.g.:
- These projects will NOT distinguish between a junior or a senior project type;
- These projects will NOT be taken into account for calculating the maximum of 2 projects for which one can be (co)-supervisor at a given time.
- A specific panel of scientific experts composed by FWO will evaluate your application; it is not necessary to choose a panel yourself from the regular FWO expert panels.
- Next to the online application in the e-portal a specific form (Word-template) has to be submitted which will be evaluated by Kom op tegen Kanker's patient committee. This committee will give a non-binding advice to the FWO expert panel on the criteria set forth in this form (see below).
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: 23 December 2021
- Start of project: January 1, 2022
- Success rate 2020: 66,7%
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants.
- Your research will be carried out at an eligible Flemish main host institution, possibly in collaboration with other Flemish and/or federal research institutions (Article 7), but a non-Flemish research institution may participate for 10 percent of the budget
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of a supervisor-spokesperson, possibly in collaboration with other (co-)supervisors (Article 10 - 12).
- Emeriti with 10% paid appointment can only act as co-supervisor.
- All material acquired with a grant for consumables/equipment of the FWO shall become the property of the university.
- The host institution is the employer of staff remunerated on research projects.
- Supervisors and co-supervisors are not allowed any remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration on a research project.
- The real cost is used when the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) already known. When the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) not yet known, indicative amounts may be used.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- You submit your proposal online.
- For the research projects in the context of Kom op tegen Kanker, patients (or patient representatives) will have an advisory role in the evaluation of the applications. This procedure is aligned with the internal procedure adopted by Kom op tegen Kanker for its own research projects. For this stage of the evaluation applicants are required to explain the (envisaged) relevance and short-term impact of their project in a way that is understandable to non-experts. An extra form will be added to the application (see below, ‘Downloads’); this form will be read by the existing patients committee of Kom op tegen Kanker to evaluate the submitted projects. This patients committee will only address the afore mentioned aspects of the project, i.e. the relevance and short-term impact for patients, and they will formulate a non-binding advice for the FWO’s scientific expert panel.
- The supervisor-spokesperson will have to collect the consent form for all non-principal host institutions that are involved in the project application. With this declaration those institutions commit themselves to act as host institutions for the project and more specifically with respect to the research work that will be performed by their researchers in the project. The main host institutions deliver their declaration directly to FWO. The declarations for non-principal host institutions have to be uploaded as an attachment to the application form. Download the template for this declaration.
- Each (co-)supervisor(-spokesperson) has to upload a CV. Please do use the template provided in the form.
- Your application is submitted to a number of external referees for evaluation.
- Rebuttal: You can react on the comments of the external referees and internal (members FWO expert panels) evaluation reports: 9 - 23 September 2021. The promoter-spokesperson of the application receives at the beginning of the rebuttal phase an invitation on the (primary) e-mail address as filled out in the FWO e-portal, being the e-mail address by which the application is submitted to the promoter-spokesperson’s main host institution. It is important to check whether the FWO invitation did not land in a spam folder of the promotor-spokesperson and if the latter did not receive a message by 9 September the FWO should be informed as soon as possible.
- A dedicated expert panel evaluates your application.
- The panel reports to the board of trustees.
- The board of trustees takes the final decision.
- Afterwards you will receive feedback on your application.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects (valid from call 2019)
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project.
- Internal and external peer review
These regulations lay down the conditions of the evaluation and award procedure for the research support programmes managed by the FWO.
- Example application form
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
Specific supporting documents
- Form for the patients committee of Kom op tegen Kanker
Please download this Word form and fill in the fields according to the specifications as mentioned in the form. The form, correctly filled in in Dutch and written so as to be understandable to a non-expert audience, has to be sent to the email email@example.com before the deadline of April 1, 2021 at 5 PM. The application is complete only if both the e-loket AND this Word form are completed and submitted to FWO!
- List research discipline codes
Since 2019 the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) has been using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.
- Scoring grid (scoring descriptors) used by the expert panels incl external reviewers
- Template collaboration agreement