2023 Call for FWO Review College Fundamental Research
The Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO) is looking for international experts in different scientific fields to strengthen its expert panels. These panels meet once or twice a year in Brussels to evaluate research proposals submitted by researchers in Flanders. The panels are made up of 12 members who are top experts in their discipline(s) as well as generalists able to evaluate research proposals in their wider field of study. The majority of panel members in each panel is not affiliated to a Flemish research institution.
FWO is currently looking for candidates to populate its Review College. The Review College is made up of highly qualified and experienced research experts who may be called upon to join an expert panel. Membership of the Review College does not commit you to serving in the panel, but enables FWO to contact you with an invitation to join a panel. FWO expects to appoint at least 150 new panel members in this call (start date: 1/1/2024).
FWO is looking for a wide variety of experts in each of its expert panels. The expert panels fundamental research at FWO are grouped in different scientific areas:
- Biological Sciences (Bio)
- Humanities (Cult)
- Social Sciences (G&M)
- Medical Sciences (Med)
- Science and Technology (W&T)
Furthermore, the Specific Interdisciplinary panel evaluates interdisciplinary research applications. For this panel we are seeking new members with broad expertise profiles who have experience with both the practice and the assessment of interdisciplinary research across the traditional boundaries of disciplines, research topics, paradigms and research traditions. These experts should have a broad take on science and research as a whole and be able to assess applications from a holistic perspective.
An overview of the scientific scopes of all panels can be found here.
If you have a truly interdisciplinary and international profile and are interested in evaluating proposals about international networking opportunities, collaborations etc. (not only focusing on core research fellowships and projects), we warmly invite you to apply for the Cross-Domain panel (CDP panel). Here, we are explicitly looking for experts with a broad profile who are willing to evaluate across different scientific domains.
FWO strongly encourages women to apply.
Application instructions: see below
Application deadline: May 1 2023
- You belong to the top 30% of your discipline.
- You have a generalist profile and are able to evaluate research proposals falling within the overall scope of your panel.
- You are appointed at a university or a scientific institution at the postdoc level or higher.
- Become a member of a panel of highly qualified experts
- Meet other experts in your field in the heart of Europe
- Stay informed about the latest evolutions in your field
- All travel expenses are covered and you receive an expert fee of 650€/meeting day
- Evaluation of research proposals; this includes writing and submitting review reports, attending panel meetings, conducting interviews with candidates and/or drawing up feedback reports.
- Attend an expert panel meeting once (November) or twice (Spring and Autumn) a year in Brussels.
- Duration of the mandate: 3 years (may be renewed once)
- There are strict rules regarding conflict of interest (see below)
- use the online application tool in the FWO e-portal (it may take up to 24h to create a login)
- exceptionally (and only for international candidates) you may apply via email
- Deadline: May 1 2023
- Results may be expected by November 2023
- Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Membership of an FP and an FF expert panel is personal and non-transferable. The membership term of an FP and an FM expert panel shall be three years. This term may be renewed once. The Board of Trustees may temporarily replace a member, yet the membership term shall not be extended by the duration of such replacement. A member may be replaced only once per appointment and term and per application channel. A member of an FM expert panel may be replaced once for the evaluation of a postdoctoral call and once for the evaluation of a PhD call within the three-year term of the panel membership. Panel members cannot renew their seats until three years after the end of a first term that has not been renewed or until three years after the end of a second term.”
“Panel members having submitted a project application as promotor or co-promotor acting as (co-)promotor as (co-)supervisor for a fellowship application that will be handled by the panel of which they are a member, are not allowed to sit on that panel during the relevant application round.”
(art. 2 § 6 & 7, Regulations of the Research Foundation – Flanders governing the internal and external peer review)